Android Question SQL Order by Date

npsonic

Licensed User
You mean something like this?
B4X:
sql1.ExecNonQuery("CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS main(value1 NONE, value2 NONE, date NONE)")
sql1.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM main ORDER BY date DESC")

Upvote 0

Mark.S

Licensed User
Brilliant, thanks Mahares.
little by little I learn, didn't realize you could put kind of argument in a select :)

Upvote 0

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sqlite can do complex data manipulation like this but from a design perspective, if you are creating the data I would suggest that you convert the date to a number using the B4x DateTime functions and store that. You can the reconvert it for display and sorting and searching becomes simple and fast.

Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My favorite way to store dates without time is this format; yyyymmdd or maybe: yyyy-mm-dd. You can sort asc, desc without any further manipulations. When you see the date, you can easily recognize it as a date. Some in the forum prefer ticks as in B4X Datetime functions. You tell me which one of the following looks like a date when you look at it:
the ticks: 1538798400000 or 20181006. For me it is a no-brainer, the second one. But people have different preferences and reasons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 103

Sqlite can do complex data manipulation like this but from a design perspective, if you are creating the data I would suggest that you convert the date to a number using the B4x DateTime functions and store that. You can the reconvert it for display and sorting and searching becomes simple and fast.

this is also my preferit, so you can also sort by hours, minutes and seconds if necessary.

Upvote 0