Android Tutorial SQL tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Okay... I have a database, all is well.... I feel the need to change the database structure. Is there a way to handle a DB alteration? At the moment users get a DB error and have to work out that they should delete data and start again...

What's the most elegant solution?

The only one I can think of is to have a variable which is set to the App version when the DB last changed, i.e. 0.8. Then compare this with the version, if it's different, the database has changed, 0.9 for instance. Then when the DB doesn't change make them the same, so that normal service is resumed..

Although I'm sure someone will come along and open my eyes to a much better solution!!

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel

I thought that might be the answer.. I was slightly hoping to avoid having to pick up another Lib, but will do so, thanks!

MaxApps

Licensed User
Longtime User
How to delete an index?
How to modify an index?

Kind regards
Jmich

MaxApps

Licensed User
Longtime User
Does not help.
I have tried what is says, but get a syntax error

SQL1.ExecNonQuery("DROP INDEX table1 1")

or

SQL1.ExecNonQuery("DROP INDEX table1.1")

Kind regards
Jmich

MaxApps

Licensed User
Longtime User
SQL1.ExecNonQuery("CREATE TABLE table1 (item TEXT, brand TEXT, model TEXT, seno TEXT, barc TEXT, date TEXT, price INTEGER)")

I would like to be able to delete and modify each line of data

MaxApps

Licensed User
Longtime User
So I should do like this:

SQL1.ExecNonQuery("CREATE TABLE table1 (ID INTEGER, item TEXT, brand TEXT, model TEXT, seno TEXT, barc TEXT, date TEXT, price INTEGER)")

And then
SQL1.ExecNonQuery("DELETE FROM table1 WHERE ID=X")

X= the index number, that should be deleted

?

And what about REPLACE?

Kind regards
Jmich

darkuni

Licensed User
Longtime User
What is everyone's preferred method of checking for the existence of a table? I don't want to drop and re-add the table each time it's run - and there won't necessarily be any data in there if the table already exists.

Example:

The app has a login. They may elect to store the login - or not. The login username and password will be stored if they elect to do so.

So I have several possibilities to handle:

1) First run: no database, no table, no data.
2) Subsequent run: no data (because they didn't elect to store it)
3) Subsequent run: data retrieved (because they elected to store it)

First one is kinda handled - if the database isn't there - it will create it. BUT, I don't know it was done (unless I missed a return value from initialize that says it was created). So I don't know if I need to create the table or not.

Let's say they run it, login but don't save. I could query the table for data - but if it is empty ...? I don't know if there simply was no table - or if there was just no data.

Questions:

Can I tell if Initialize created the database or just opened it?
Can I tell if a table exists or not?

If I cannot, is TRY/CATCH my best means of handling this? If I try to query a table that doesn't exist, can I CATCH the exception?

Thanks!

paskuale

Hi Erel great article if my app start all from a csv file ? How can read and then insert data from csv in sqlLite db ? thanks

iabros

Generate Error "InputStream1 Not Initialized"

InputStream1 = File.OpenInput(File.DirAssets, "smiley.gif")
The above statement Generate Error "InputStream1 Not Initialized"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…