B4J Question Standalone application

rdkartono

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good day,

I know this may sound stupid question, but somehow i need to confirm about B4J Standalone Application.
I never used it, so have some doubt.

If I make UI app on B4J, compile it with JDK 11/14, become standalone application, it will create 4 folders and EXE file
I learned from this link : https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...-way-to-distribute-standalone-ui-apps.117880/

My question is, if I copy those results to a fresh Windows 10/11 computer, do I need to install JDK 11 / 14 to run the EXE ?
If I need to install JDK , do I need to use JDK from Link (https://www.b4x.com/b4j/files/java/jdk-14.0.1.zip) , or any other JDK ?

Solution
You will distribute a zip with the 4 folders and the exe.
It already contain all what it needs to run.
Just run the exe from inside the folder together with the other 4 folders.
No need to install anything else.

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You will distribute a zip with the 4 folders and the exe.
It already contain all what it needs to run.
Just run the exe from inside the folder together with the other 4 folders.
No need to install anything else.

Upvote 3
Solution

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The packager will include all of the needed java stuff inside your package. That is why that even the smallest of apps will result in a 40MB+ package.
I don't know if there's the possibility to chose to NOT include the Java stuff, and have the end user be prompted for it...

Upvote 0

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The packager will include all of the needed java stuff inside your package. That is why that even the smallest of apps will result in a 40MB+ package.
I don't know if there's the possibility to chose to NOT include the Java stuff, and have the end user be prompted for it...
This is the counterside of this method.
But I think that it can't be avoided because Java 11 and later does not need installation, so they must be supplied with our packages.
At the least the ones that we use with B4X.
To install the original from Oracle would require the user to create an account with Oracle, so not a so good options for most (my opinion).
Nowadays 40MB are not a big deal, but I agree that it would be nice if it could be avoided.

Upvote 0