Wish Standard Find/Replace dialog with "All Modules" ability

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I see that a "All Modules" range was added to the Quick Search tab. I thank you because it does help sometimes. However, many times I need to replace a string that exists in multiple modules, but I don't want to replace ALL occurrences in ALL modules.

So, I'm stuck because the replace on the quick search tab will only replace in ALL modules (or just one), and the "Find/Replace" pop-up dialog will only replace in one module.

Also, having two different find/replace dialogs seems a little inconsistent.

It would be so much helpful and productive if you could add a "All modules" selection in the "Look In" drop-down box of your current find/replace pop-up dialog. This would then meet the full expected functionality of find/replace dialogs found in all the other major IDE's and would eliminate the need for a second find/replace dialog on the quick search dialog.

With all innovations you have already added to the IDE, I am confident you can figure out a way to add this functionality :)

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Also, having two different find/replace dialogs seems a little inconsistent.
The standard find / replace dialog is a built-in component included in the library that the IDE uses for the code editor.
When the new IDE was released it was the only way to make replacements. I wouldn't have added it if the currently replacement features in the quick search were available at that time.
I'm sure that there are developers who still use it so I don't plan to remove it (for now at least).
Supporting multiple modules will require a big rewrite of this component. I don't think that it will happen.

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In that case, then it would be Greatly appreciated is you could at least add a "Replace" and "Find Next" button to the Quick Search replace feature so we could selectively replace strings, especially because the "Quick Search" replace feature doesn't allow any fine-tuning the search criteria with options like "Match Case", "Match whole word", etc. to narrow the hits to just the occurrences we want to replace.

Adding these two button should be really easy because you have all the occurrences right in the quick search list and these buttons would allow us to skip over unwanted replacements.

Thanks for considering this wish.