Star System is Too Generous

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I like to see the grading system be more stringent. You can easily get to the expert level in no time by simply asking questions or simply responding with things like thanks, +1, etc. I noticed that sometimes users hesitate to respond to a question posed by an Veteran or Expert because they get intimidated by their stars, even though they are very familiar with the subject and can help. Many new users get identified as newbie or junior, etc, but in reality they may know a lot about the subject in question. I, for one, like to see my stars drop as I do not consider myself veteran or expert because most of the stars I got, were accumulated by asking for help. I hope Erel considers this. I do not mind being dropped way down as I am still learning.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I do second this.

In some other forums I usually browse, there is a "user voting system" of sorts implementation...
By this it's the uses who rate the feedback of another user... what for me, seems to be a lot more fair for those who really know what they are writing about... which is not always my case...

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't pay much attention to stars, badges, crowns, medals etc, I just read the content of the post.

Assuming that just because someone has 5 stars must be an expert is like assuming that a guy driving a Ferrari is a millionaire, he might just be a Valet Parking dude :D

kickaha

Licensed User
Longtime User
I object to being described as a Basic4ppc Expert as I have never used it :signOops:

Other than that I take each post (and poster) on their merits and do not pay attention to stars.

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
We need "Thanks button" like other forums. :)

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Updated table:

SS-2012-10-14_09.01.57.png

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel: That is still too generous. I will soon have 500 posts. There is no way I am considered EXPERT. You can be a veteran but not an expert. Posts that respond like + 1, thank you, whining, etc. should not be added to the posts total. Here is how I would do it:
Senior= 500+
Veteran=1000+
Expert=1500+
Or better yet: Leave it up to the forum user how he/she wants to classify him or herself.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There is no real meaning behind these stars so I don't see why trying to get the stars right. They will never show the right level of a user's capacity.

Just let them indicate the user's participation-level on the forum. That is what they actually represent.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just let them indicate the user's participation-level on the forum. That is what they actually represent.

I like the idea, drop the classification names, keep the stars...

If I am not mistaken, the stars were introduced as a need to diferenciate between licensed/un-licensed users, so a single star should be enought for that. I agree, that a "thank you" button shuld be made available