Support Windows Phone 7

tsppcapp

Licensed User
Support Windows Phone 7. Other basic4ppc developers, come to support this wish please

I wish basic4ppc will have new release for supporting Windows Phone 7.

Last edited:

tsppcapp

Licensed User
If Windows Phone 7 is supported by basic4ppc,

- basic4ppc developers will keep enthusiasm for using basic4ppc
- the application lifetime developed by basic4ppc can last for years more

It is win-win for Anywhere Software company and the basic4ppc developers.

Please build a new release for basic4ppc that support Windows Phone 7 development.

Gearcam

Licensed User
Longtime User
This would be so usefull to have WP7

:sign0087:

WP7 would be so usefull

Then i would definetly go with the android version and WP7 to convert sections of my gear design software for mobile use gearcam.co.uk
Gear C.A.M. Gear Design Software

Is there any plan to do this ?

If so i would continue the Android program and catch up with the WP7 one.
It looks like the code would be pretty much the same.

Regards

Steve

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I wish basic4ppc will have new release for supporting Windows Phone 7.

The problem with WP7 is that there is no .NET CF anymore supported on this platform so porting basic4ppc would be a complete rewrite of the software beginning from zero.

I think a even bigger problem is that WP7 only allows applications to be installed over the marketplace. So I don't think that a third party IDE is allowed to install software on a device directly.

I'm glad Erel decided to prefer Android and I think currently there are not much resources free for beginning a WP7 version since there is much to do for the Android version.

digitaldon37

Licensed User
Longtime User
The problem with WP7 is that there is no .NET CF anymore supported on this platform so porting basic4ppc would be a complete rewrite of the software beginning from zero.

I think a even bigger problem is that WP7 only allows applications to be installed over the marketplace. So I don't think that a third party IDE is allowed to install software on a device directly.

I'm glad Erel decided to prefer Android and I think currently there are not much resources free for beginning a WP7 version since there is much to do for the Android version.

Microsoft approved IronRuby.NET for Marketplace, I don't see why they wouldn't approve B4PPC.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The problem is not the IDE, it is in installing and running your own programs generated by the IDE. You can only do this as a developer paying an annual fee of $99. As a developer you can register up to three phones you can use as test devices and obviously can also put your program on the market for download.

Registering as a non-US located developer appears to be a bit of a pain as the process needs an identity check done by some outfit called GeoTrust which can be done electronically by US citizens but seems to have caused some difficulty for people located outside the US though presumably this will get ironed out over time.

Actually Microsoft haven't "approved IronRuby.NET for Marketplace". They have produced a set of libraries for Windows Phone 7 that will interpret IronRuby code at runtime but it must run inside a C# application and the application must still be built with Visual Studio 10.

From Going Places - IronRuby on Windows Phone 7

Another limitation concerns the way new Windows Phone 7 applications are created. Such applications can be created only from Visual Studio and only in C#. This requirement forces developers to write code in C# that initiates the IronRuby code.
The app you linked to is an IronRuby interpreter that can only run scripts written on the device. It does not produce distributable applications.

digitaldon37

Licensed User
Longtime User
The app you linked to is an IronRuby interpreter that can only run scripts written on the device. It does not produce distributable applications.

That is correct, but it also let's me download and run scripts not written on my device. Isn't that what the B4PPC IDE does on a WinMo device?

I am hoping that Microsoft's support of homebrew will allow me to compile (xap) and install without paying $99 a year, but until that happens I'll settle for a script interpreter. I'd prefer a B4PPC script interpreter but I'm guessing there's not much of a market to make it worth Erel's effort to develop, especially at a price of $9.99 or whatever MS would try to have him sell it for.

SarahWard

Banned
I agree that Windows7 is a waste of time as far as Anywhere Software is concerned. It is a shame but that also means B4PPC is limited to writing for existing WM5 WM6 phones only. When these are finished then B4PPC is finished too. The market changed to the iPhone finger-touch type operating system and Microsoft had to change with the times.

Android was the correct choice over W7 for Erel. But for all of us who love B4PPC and the WinMo device environment, this change is a sad thing. I have yet to really get to grips with B4Android so I haven't yet purchased the full version. Maybe when I get a cheap enough second-hand Android device it will become more real for me.

In the meantime I think we WM users and code writers have to accept that the world of devices has fundimentally changed and we will have to do the same.

And when we come to make the change away from old WinMobile, I think that Android will seem like a much better option compared with Windows Phone 7 simply because of Basic4Android. :)

mauricedorris

Licensed User
Longtime User
I develop business applications, not for personal use. So maybe I see it differently. I was worried about the the future of windows devices, but then I actually purchased and used one of the newer windows 7 devices. It became clear to me at that point that it is a device with a limited future.

Android is the smart choice in my opinion. There is no future for business programs to run on windows 7 devices.

Some of my customers have been buying hp ipaq 211 devices to run their windows mobile programs on. In truth, its kinda nice to go back to a normal pda with a slightly larger screen. Then the users can use their cell phone as just a cell phone. I am still developing for windows mobile, just not the cell phones.

This is just my opinion

tsppcapp

Licensed User
Um... I have read that only we have to publish the WP7 app via MS Marketplace, we have to pay the US$99/year. So, what if we do not release our app via Marketplace? we can release the WP app without paying the US$99/year, let the users download the app via internet webpage, right?

And, the iphone/android developers also have to pay Apple/Google if they publish app via the marketplace.

I think basic4ppc stop developing the new version, because the WP7 does not support .net framework

I don't know if this is right, just say what I think. Maybe, it is wrong as I don't have WP7 on hand.

Last edited:

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Wrong. The only way users, other than developers who have paid $99 and have unlocked a phone, can load apps is through the market.

Note that it is 99$ per year.

tsppcapp

Licensed User
Wrong. The only way users, other than developers who have paid $99 and have unlocked a phone, can load apps is through the market.

Ok, thanks for your info.

Um... if I have to use WP7 and do programming for my own application, I may use MS own development tool or do hacking the WP7 then programming, and may say goodbye to basic4ppc

I don't decide to go with the Android before it release version 3.1

pdablue

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can the Basic4PPC community design and build their own PDA hardware device?

Hi,

There are probably many Basic4ppc users who have Software and Hardware
development backgrounds. The PDA as a device has been around for many
years now. There are a number of chips that will run Windows CE/Mobile.
Has anyone thought of putting together a parts list where members of
the Basic4ppc community can build their own PDA device from a kit ?

The Basic4ppc community could discuss what types of hardware features
that they would like a PDA device to have.

The Basic4ppc community could start of by working on a low cost PDA kit
designed especially for running Basic4ppc software applications.

Once the Basic4ppc community has decided on the hardware features it
would like to see in a Basic4ppc PDA device, if the kit version proves to
be popular, the Basic4ppc community could have a consumer version of the
device made and make it available for sale.

The Basic4ppc community needs someone who can build a hardware device
that can run Windows CE/Mobile. The Basic4ppc community may need to
design and build a device for themselves and there are many companys
that could manufacture a consumer version of the device.

Maybe Anywhere Software needs their own brand of PDA device so they
can control what types of features the device has and fine tune it for
running Basic4ppc.

Lets keep Basic4pcc going for many years into the future.

The ability to put Basic4ppc on a PDA and write code from anywhere
is truly unbeatable...the rest of the world, does not know it yet !

mjcoon

Licensed User
The Basic4ppc community could start off by working on a low cost PDA kit designed especially for running Basic4ppc software applications.

That's a wonderfully ambitious plan! I wonder how much M$ would charge to license WM6 + .NET CF? Might blow the "low-cost" aspect out of the water...

Mike.