Android Question System Gesture Insets, Android 11

nwhitfield

Licensed User
Longtime User
Looking at someone else's app, where a user is complaining of the home navigation bar overlapping a text entry area at the bottom of the screen, it occurred to me that I'm probably going to face the same issue with my app on Android 11, if people are using gesture navigation.

This Android developer post on Medium looks at the issue and explains some calls that can get the relevant insets, which I guess is a little like the safe area stuff for iPhone X.

How should we handle this on Android? Do we have to tweak stuff in code (and if so, what calls do we need), or will the layout side of B4A handle this for us properly, if we have things anchored to the bottom of the screen? (And, in that case, are there app lifecyle issues if a users switches between navigation modes in Android 11?)

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Note that it isn't enabled by default.
I've tried it with Pixel 2 running Android 11 and couldn't find the edge to edge gesture. Have you seen it?

And, in that case, are there app lifecyle issues if a users switches between navigation modes in Android 11?)
The activity is restarted. Same as orientation change.

Upvote 0

nwhitfield

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've not yet got hold of a device to try it on myself, but this is the issue I've seen reported on Twitter, from an app similar to mine - a conversation section, with an input area at the bottom of the screen, which is now impossible to activate and type into, because of the overlaid system icons.
EkDh4-yXcAAfk5M.jpg

Upvote 0