Android Question Text not displaying correctly on Sony Z3 xperia

rthyoung26

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a few apps that have run perfectly on several Samsung products including the Note 3 which has a screen resolution of 1920x1080 but when installed on the Sony Z3 with the same resolution does not display text properly. The text on buttons for example is clipped off on the top and bottom. Also I have more than one variant for the layouts and the Z3 does not display the expected higher definition layout while Samsung products do. Apps are locked to landscape mode. Am I missing something or is there something special I have to do to target this particular phone. Frustrating problem over the last few days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

rthyoung26

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel:

I have already retrieved the layout values as I was suspicious of the Z3 having soft buttons for back and menu unlike the Note 3 which are off screen. The respective values are: (NOTE 3 - 4.89, 1920, 1080, 3 as expected) (Z3 - 4.36, 1794, 1080, 3 a little surprised by the 1794 but guess expected).

The variants I was originally using were (320x480,1 phones and 960x540,1 & 1280x800,1 to target my tablets) These worked on all phones I tried it on and the phones picked up the 320x480 variant. When I had the Z3 problem with the test I tried a new variant 724x407 to directly target the hires Z3 and Note 3. The Note 3 used this new variant and it worked correctly but the Z3 continued to use the 320x480 that didn't scale properly. This is when I retrieved the layout values and saw the difference in the Z3. So I have created yet another variant to try and target the Z3 reduced resolution(676x407,1) but I have not been able to try it yet on the Z3. It is my son's phone and I haven't sent it ti him yet to try. Of note is my Note 3 actually uses this new variant (676x407,1) which surprised me but it looks correct.

I have attached 2 jpg screen captures - one from the Note 3 that looks correct and one from the Z3 which does not plus you can see the softkeys on the right side of the Z3 screen shot. The Note 3 image is 172 kb and the Z3 is only 84 kb which is also a little strange.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rthyoung26

Licensed User
Longtime User
In most cases it is a mistake to create variants for any specific device. Instead use a single variant and call AutoScaleAll to slightly increase the views sizes based on the actual device size.

I realize variants should be at a minimum. I originally only had two, one for phones and one for tablets as they needed to be different. I have only added extra to try and find one that works for the Z3. I have never used the AutoScaleAll successfully. Where and how do you use it? It isn't recognized in the main code and in designer script doesn't seem to do anything.

Upvote 0

rthyoung26

Licensed User
Longtime User
I realize variants should be at a minimum. I originally only had two, one for phones and one for tablets as they needed to be different. I have only added extra to try and find one that works for the Z3. I have never used the AutoScaleAll successfully. Where and how do you use it? It isn't recognized in the main code and in designer script doesn't seem to do anything.

The app has been tried on the Z3 again. The good news is that the device actually used the new variant (676x407,1). Also the app was compiled with the AutoScaleAll in the Designer Script. The bad news is, the text still does not display properly on the Z3. New screenshot attached.

Attachments

• Z3_with_AutoScaleAll.jpg
    Z3_with_AutoScaleAll.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 0

rthyoung26

Licensed User
Longtime User
You will need to either decrease the font size or increase all views sizes.

I have already done that for that one Z3 phone as a temporary solution for it but to do that for all phones would destroy the way it looks on all the tablets and phones that now use it. I trust that I will find the proper fix for this problem. I was hoping someone else would have encountered this Z3 problem on this forum and would have a solution. I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Upvote 0