The difference between an app and a program.

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
I do agree. But when I hear App I think of a small program focused on doing one thing that runs on a tablet or mobile. Do you ever hear someone saying to install that App on your computer? Desktops seem to = programs while phones/tablets seem to = apps.

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
They were called programs on mobile devices, too. Then Apple came and said programs are lame and apps are cool. So from then on everybody called them apps.

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So shall we refer tp b4a and b4j as programs and b4i as apps ? :confused:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Program : a set of instructions created to be read and executed on specialized machines like industrial textile machines (pre-digital boom).
App : small application that may require aditional user input to execute simple to complex operations (pos-digital boom)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
They were called programs on mobile devices, too. Then Apple came and said programs are lame and apps are cool. So from then on everybody called them apps.

yes they were called programs (software) until App(le) came and call them App's and their store App(le)Store without the (le) came AppStore... and walla the new name was born... App(le)

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
An app is an app, and a program is a program, and they are both the same. I hope that clears things up... :)

--- Jem