Share My Creation The Motorsport Calendar

Soon to launch on the Android App Market!! Well hopefully soon!

:)

It lists a number of race events, from around the world, it's still very much WiP - I will update the apk linked here, but thought I'd throw it out to people to see what they think. I don't mind sharing the source code, although I'd rather it wasn't available for anybody to download - ideally just for licenced B4A developers. It uses a single very simple database table with all of the information held in it.

The app has 4 tabs. 1 which displays all of the Events in chronological order and when the app starts it positions the list on the next events to occur. Tab 2 lists all of the series and then you can single click these items to view all the individual events or long click to add all of the series races to the Favourites. The 3rd tab holds the Favourites currently listed. A long click will remove individual items. The 4th tab is an Options tab - this still needs quite a bit of work to it.

I'm only developing the app. in the evenings at the moment. It's taken about 3 weeks to get it to where it is.

There needs to be some colour added - this is in the pipeline and some "nice to haves" on top of the core functionality.. :)

Three screen resolutions are currently catered for.. 320x480 480x800 (240 dpi) and 480x800 (160dpi) - so tablets are also covered...

AdMob advertising is included as well.

As mentioned it is really late Alpha / pre Beta release software.. So a few debug messages are still in place.

By all means let me know what you think of it!! All constructive criticism is welcomed :)

Changes made, new apk attached (just, under the size limit!!). I have made a few fine tune adjustments and also, hopefully expanded and improved some of the processing. It's version 0.4 now.. With quite a few additions to go before making it to around 0.9 and something that I will be happy to release on to the market..! Hopefully the difficult stuff is out of the way - a re-write of the main list function from ListView to ScrollView.

Attachments

• the_msc.apk
    377.6 KB · Views: 345
  • the_msc_screenshot2.jpg
    the_msc_screenshot2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 23,039
Last edited:

Merlot2309

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

It´s running fine on my HTC Legend and I like the icon.
My only suggestions are to use a larger fontsize and I would not use a border.

Anyway: success.

Helen.

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Helen

Thankyou very much for taking the time to install the app and give feedback. I'll make those changes you have recommended tonight and refresh the attached.

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just in a major code change.... I decided to move away from ListView and populate the list using ScrollView instead.. Just about got it all working the way I want, will update tonight.

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Screenshots attached... Version 0.4 and onwards... Still some way to go....! :)

Attachments

• the_msc_screenshot1.jpg
    the_msc_screenshot1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 392
  • the_msc_screenshot2.jpg
    the_msc_screenshot2.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 318
  • the_msc_screenshot3.jpg
    the_msc_screenshot3.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 295
  • the_msc_screenshot4.jpg
    the_msc_screenshot4.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 293

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
free version is now available in the market. It's only ver 0.5 but will be updated before the end of the week!!

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
wahey! version 0.8.1 is now released on the market.

So far 100+ downloads (just!)

Hopefully people in the US will start downloading it a bit more, at the moment it's mainly UK based people and Aussies... :)

https://market.android.com/details?id=torquesoft.themsc&feature=search_result

Thanks for all the help, although there is still some way to go - to get it to 1.0 level and beyond! :) Looking to add in some features, but for the moment it is good to go.

lucasjohnson00

Licensed User
Longtime User
Eps.. I been all over the forums and spent hours trying to figure it out. How did you change the color on your tabhost? You know? The color of the tabs from blue to gray. Also, how do u get the icon to stretch so it takes up the whole tab? I wouldn't normally ask, but I just can't figure it out. :s

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Eps.. I been all over the forums and spent hours trying to figure it out. How did you change the color on your tabhost? You know? The color of the tabs from blue to gray. Also, how do u get the icon to stretch so it takes up the whole tab? I wouldn't normally ask, but I just can't figure it out. :s

lucas..

For the icons I used a free icon editor, I can't remember the name of it here.. I'll post later, but it's very good, award winning. :) I then looked at the size of the icons used in the tabhost example, I think they're 52x52 pixels. I then used the editor to make sure my graphic occupied as much of the 52x52 as possible. As for the colour, it wasn't something I set, but at a guess it's set within the designer. Either Activity colour or similar.. or possibly it's in the .bas files within the project.

version 0.8.7 now available, updated for tablets.. although a few more updates still to come!! :)

HTH

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Version 0.9 now available in the market.

Circuit detail added, circuit maps (122 of them!), circuit length, url to official site.

A bit of a tidy up still to go.. Just some loose ends here and there and then a Paid For version I think!

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi eps,
Can you keep us updated on how its going?
I mean in terms of downloads per day etc and other useful metrics.(and what kind of bugs you encounter on production level apps).
It will just help ppl like me to be confident in getting their app out there and serve as motivation for us all!!!
Thanks!

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Of course!

1300 total downloads in just over 1 month. About a 62% retention rate. Ave rating on the market is 4. Admob going okay but could be better. It went through a bout of errors.. they were for the DB structure changing, which doesn't affect the app anymore and then I briefly added a Service, then pulled it, thought I'd edited the Manifest, but hadn't and it caised a few errors. We've also got a blog and Twitter.. I think the installs re about right, from looking at our competitors..

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Of course!

1300 total downloads in just over 1 month. About a 62% retention rate. Ave rating on the market is 4. Admob going okay but could be better. It went through a bout of errors.. they were for the DB structure changing, which doesn't affect the app anymore and then I briefly added a Service, then pulled it, thought I'd edited the Manifest, but hadn't and it caised a few errors. We've also got a blog and Twitter.. I think the installs re about right, from looking at our competitors..

That is actually quite impressive. 1300 downloads in the first month is really good and even when you are experimenting a bit you still get a rating of 4!!
Just wondering how this translates (and not asking for any specific numbers), I have assumed that usually:
1300 downloads at 10% retention = 130 active users * $0.02/day = $78/month
Is that a safe estimate to make?

btw...cool helmet on the robots head!

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunately not. Although I think the next month will be more indicative of true return. This App doesn't really lend itself to generating revenue from advertising. A paid for version, with a killer usp will probably be better. Click throughs are quite low to be honest, but should rise when the installs rise, although not linearly..

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think it will be fine, but it needs a few other Apps and then we can cross advertise and so on. 2nd App should be out at the end of Sept at the latest.

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
App is now available on Slideme.org and the Amazon App Market - hopefully the Bluestacks virtualisation will appear later this year and my App will be useable on Windows machines! :)

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
8.5k downloads now.

Christmas and New Year have been good in terms of downloads and advertising :)

More 2012 dates added and some new series added for 2012 as well.

Enjoy!

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
10k+ downloads now, from the official Market. 7 months

1.8k from slideme.org The App hasn't been on there as long..

70 (!!) from Amazon AppStore The App was only uploaded a few months ago.

Kindle Fire resolution sorted out now, so am hoping to see the nos. rise on Amazon AppStore, once it passes their approval service..

Most of the 2011 dates have been removed.

2012 dates have been added, along with some new series.

The other App is taking up most of my time.... and a Paid For version of that, with the functionality in that to go into a Paid For version of this one...