Share My Creation The Quest: 50 Dungeons

Hey, after a long time I finally finished my latest project.
It's a little bit of a RPG with the help of a barcodescanner.

Some years ago I've got a game for the PC where a barcodescanner device was used to scan codes to get improvements for the dinosaurs you're playing. Because today nearly every mobile phone got a camera and could scan barcodes, I wanted to create a game that would be similar like this.

The result is not really the same, but I'm satisfied with it.

The goal of the game is to reach the 50th dungeon. Each dungeon has 10 enemies in it. To beat them, you can attack them with physical attacks, you can poison them or paralyze them. On the other hand you can defend youself when they attacking you.
So you have to scan a lot of products to get enough actions. These action got different requirements and effects. You can also enchant these actions to make them stronger or put their requirements lower to use them when you're not strong enough.
Also when you beat an opponent, you find incredients. With them you can craft potions that help you, for example to cure you from poison or when your enemy paralyzed you. Beside these incredients, you'll find also coal and ore. These are used to craft and upgrade your weapon and your armor.
If you did it to the 5th dungeon, you'll find a pet that you can skill. It can help you in many different ways. It can attack your opponents, it can cure you or you can get an additional skillpoint to spend when you've got a level up.

What I can't is creating good graphics and sound. But I hope that will not be a big problem.

I used the ZXingLib by icefairy333 for the barcodescanner. I could only test it on two devices. One is a Samsung Galaxy S2, where there game runs very well, the other one is an acer tablet A700. Unfortunately on my tablet the scanner is not working and I can't figure out why :/
I would be happy if you could say me if the game works at your devi ce or if it doesn't, so I can take these devices on the block list on google play to avoid bad ratings ;)

You can download it here on GooglePlay

screen1.png Screenshot_2013-08-20-19-00-33.png Screenshot_2013-08-20-18-50-19.png Screenshot_2013-08-20-18-54-48.png Screenshot_2013-08-20-19-01-33.png

Last edited:

Stulish

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Quillok,

I have downloaded the game to my Samsung Galaxy S3 and the graphics and proportions look fine.

The English on the welcome screen and instructions looks like it was translated so it not grammatically correct, so may need some work as it is difficult to understand (i got the general idea).

I used google images and typed in bar codes and scanned them this all worked well and told me if i tried to scan the same code twice (i had to check).

But now i am unsure what to do i entered the dungeon and the actions automatically flicker , but the worms health is not reducing, i tried tapping the actions image with no effect, my health is going down so the worm is obviously killing me, i am unsure how to hit back.

If i press back (to run away from the fight), it asks me if i want to quit the game, and the only way i have found to get back to the main menu is to quit and then re-start the app, it would be useful if your in a dungeon if you had the option to run away (before you die).

I have set up my character, and when i re-start the app i only get two options 'New Game' and 'More Games'. I expected 'New Game' to start again, it might be good to have a 'Continue Game', 'New Game' and 'More Games' (maybe you could store more than one game at a time?).

I am not sure what 'Sort Actions' does i just get a box with a close button in the top right and a 'Sort Actions' check box in the bottom right.

I love the idea of the game, keep up the good work

Stu

Stulish

Licensed User
Longtime User
One other thing, Google Store states it is not compatable with my ASUS Nexus 7, so you might want to look at what is supported (does it support larger screens)

Quillok

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hey, thanks for testing.
My problem is, english is not my mother tongue, simple words are no problem for me to translate, but when it comes to larger sentences that have to tell a story or how things work, I'm in trouble ^^
For using you scanned actions you have to click on 'Overview', where you can see all codes/actions you've scanned. At the bottom of the screen you'll see the height of your skill that is required for the actions. If your skill is high enough, you can click on the action and on the top of the "card" you got an empty field. When you click on it, you are using this action. There are already some standard actions that got no requirements so the user can start the game without scanning things. But these actions are not strong enough to finsih the game with them.

'New Game' should normally be 'Start Game', my mistake, I will change this soon, and when started a game it will change to continue.
Back key is also now on the to-do-list. Interesting, what I don't recognize when working on that game :D

Eric H

Licensed User
Longtime User
Your game looks cool! I saw your post above about English not being you first language, so I decided to re-write your app description. Since you didn't specifically ask for translation help, feel free to ignore this suggestion, or any part of it.

Original:
The Quest is difficult to describe. It's a little bit of Adventure, a little bit of RPG, a little bit of Reflexgame and a little bit of a barcodescanner. It's a soup where from everything is a little inside... one moment... barcodescanner? Yes, but one more sentence.
It's your goal to reach the 50th dungeon and to defeat every opponent on your way down. Your enemies got 4 actions, normal attacks, poison or they can paralyze you. You on your side can have 8 actions, But you start with only 5 very weak actions. And thats the point where the barcodescanner is needed. Scan barcodes with your camera and discover what actions hide behind the barcodes in your surrounding. Collect strong actions and defeat your enemies. Where else can flour be a poisoned attack?! Try it by yourself and collect the strongest actions to reach the 50th dungeon.

#### IMPORTANT ####
This is a 1-man-show. I developed and tested the game on a Samsung Galaxy S2. It runs without problems but because of the many different androidversions out there, it can come to freezes or crashes with that game. If you've got a problem, it would help me very much, if you could tell me what errer you've got and which device and what androidversion is on it. If thats the case, please mail me: [email protected]

#### Devices where the scanner doesn't work ####
- Acer Iconia A700

Suggestion:
Welcome to The Quest! A fun and exciting challenge awaits you! However, don't let your confidence get too far ahead of you. In order to be victorious, you must master several different skills in this part adventure, part RPG, part reflex and part barcode scanner quest.

Wait a minute... barcode scanner? Yes, you will see!

As the hero in The Quest, your goal is to reach the 50th dungeon and to defeat every opponent who gets in your way. Your enemies will attack you with everything they have... they may even try to poison or paralyze you! Once you have become an experienced hero, you will have 8 actions available to you. However, when you begin The Quest you will only have 5 very weak actions available. This is where the barcode scanner comes in. Scan barcodes with your camera to discover new actions hiding behind the barcodes in your surroundings! Collect strong attacks to annihilate your enemies! Where else can flour be a poisoned attack?! Are you brave enough to reach the 50th dungeon?

#### IMPORTANT ####
IZUware is a 1-man-show. I personally developed and tested the game on my Samsung Galaxy S2, on which it runs without any problems. Because there are many different Android versions out there, your mileage may vary. Because I would like everyone to have a good experience playing The Quest, it would help me very much if you could tell me about any errors, freezes, or crashes you encounter. Please contact me at [[email protected]], and be sure to include the specific error message (a screenshot is fine), the name of device you are using, the phone carrier (if applicable) and which version of Android you are running. Thank you!

#### Devices where the scanner is confirmed NOT working ####
- Acer Iconia A700