Thoughts on Android 12?

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I upgraded to Android 12 about a week ago, and I consider it the worst Android upgrade I've ever had. For the first time ever I feel the user interface took a step backwards.
  • It feels clumsy and it's harder to navigate. (Example: The buttons displayed when swiping down from top, and then swiping that overlay away.)
  • There are lots of minor bugs all over the place. (Example: The stretch-effect can "stick" if you stretch webpages, without returning to normal.)
  • Lost functionality. (Example: Can't change volume on chromecast using volume buttons, because of "legal reasons".)

Thankfully no crashes at least. Oh, and the graphical effect when you plug in a charger is kind of nice, I suppose. (I have a Google Pixel 3a, for what it's worth.)

I'm curious what the forum members think of Android 12?

Favie

My main complaint is simply everything is too large now. A lot of fussing with the font and display size.

Everything is just so damn...bubbly and overwhelming to look at.

Mark Turney

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm an iOS user, but that doesn't sound good. I'm no Apple fan-boy, and would be critical of Apple for the same thing.

Ishmael

Depending on the device you are using, Different Manufacturers put their UI Launcher on top which they tweak to their liking. Samsung has one UI 4, others too have theirs

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Depending on the device you are using, Different Manufacturers put their UI Launcher on top which they tweak to their liking. Samsung has one UI 4, others too have theirs
Not sure how that is relevant to this thread as my complaints aren't related to the launcher. In fact, I haven't used the standard launcher for years, instead opting to use Nova Launcher so I get consistent user interface and features regardless of the OS version.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
I get consistent user interface and features regardless
Though, a couple of comments on the playsite you linked indicate that NOVA 7 may have done exactly what you're commenting on with Android 12. Seems like one way or the other BCB has us by the proverbials - like many I'll have to wait for the next phone to discover what A12 is about.

But, thanks for the warning and also the NOVA link.

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's like a Windows interface upgrade. Changes to no real purpose.

One of my favorite sayings: "Noise, dust, smoke and confusion do not necessarily indicate forward progress."

Lariliss

In general:
  • The most changes are about the look, buttons, animations, which require to become get used to (thatā€™s OK);
  • The settings menu changes are a bit weird for purpose and comfort of use;
  • Widgets are not available or I couldnā€™t find them?
  • Adaptive sound is not bothering me anymore (I believe the majority will disagree here).
The summary is: a lot of interface changes (minor in sense of performance) and performance downgrade (due to the changes).

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've been using it on my Pixel 3a since the early developer releases & I think it's ok. There's a lot of new functionality built into the Overview interface, some of which is quite useful. I do find it annoying though that whenever I
pull down to view notifications I get the settings menu as if I've pulled down twice.

- Colin.