Time to switch to Android OS

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Microsoft announced Windows10 will be a service not a product anymore. With $7 a month.
On top of all crashes, bugs and loopholes, now you must pay a monthly fee.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Microsoft announced Windows10 will be a service not a product anymore. With $7 a month.
On top of all crashes, bugs and loopholes, now you must pay a monthly fee.

i dont see anyone pay for it except of companies (maybe!). they are only making google (android) stronger like this. android will give his operating system for free and improve it very much until no one will use windows anymore (even not companies)

this move doesnot make any sense to me. they should see how they get developers to code for windows phones and make money from their store instead of such moves.

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
also something i dont understand why dont they let users code in the old VB style for windows 8+ phones?? like VB express 2005/8/10
drag and drop buttons, labels,.. use timer to animate,... simple language. they did it so complicated with VS2015 that lot of people give up using it

the reason i use b4x is because is very similar to vb 2005. very simple u drag and drop views, give them names, and make actions.
i tried to code in VS2015 and make a simple game and it is so hard. just to declare a timer and move a view by adding 1 pixel to his left position is such complicated.

i think they would get lots of devs if they just let us code in the old way for windows phones. you could create such great stuff with VB.

i would recommend @Erel to send bill gates a mail tell him "I will make microsoft great again" and ask him to invest in B4W. i believe in b4w and if microsoft will make better phones it could really be a competition in the mobile world. until then i only see microsoft going down and down!

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
If @Erel did that, Microsoft would surely buy Anywhere and then we will all be screwed.

+1 Nooooooooooooooo !

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Many companies don't use Microsoft products anymore. Like Google they only need cpu power and storage and not "Microsoft products". Linux is for free, stable and you get hw for a few bucks. Cutomers are interested in apps/programs. They don't give a f*** how they are developed. They just want to use it. Java is getting more and more important (free and powerful). There's no need to buy VS xxxx for 1000$ or more. MS SQL Servers aren't needed anymore, too. MySQL/PostGre & Co. are for free (or for a fraction of the MS price). Google and Amazon offer storage, messaging, etc. All scalable and cheap.

Your turn, Microsoft...

Lahksman

Licensed User
Longtime User
Many companies don't use Microsoft products anymore
I work at a small software company with 850+ clients. Our clients company's vary in size from only 1 to 50 persons. Right now about 95% of them run on Microsoft products (Windows, windows server, office, ...). The other 5% runs on Mac.
One thing i have to agree with is that MS SQL servers aren't needed anymore. We still use it, but only the express versions as our database rarely grows over 4GB and we don't ask alot of RAM of CPU for our query's.
VS is free for us being Microsoft Gold Partner, as is a lot of other Microsoft software.

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As always it's the Microsoft way or the Highway! To be fair it's like that for a lot of software companies.

Lahksman

Licensed User
Longtime User
Switching from Visual Basic to for instance Java is not an option. We have been developing our program for more then 15 years, switching now would be way too expensive in labor hours.

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
For now it is only Windows Enterprise that is subscription based.
I think it's the "for now" bit that is concerning.

If MS pushes the subscription service onto everyone, I'm switching to either a Hackintosh or Linux.

imbault

Licensed User
Longtime User
MS is going back, Satya Nadella made a huge switch, their cloud services are much than good
Windows 10 is very robust
Entreprise version of w10 is pretty good, it's a corporate OS, where is the pb for paying for that for companies???
It's the same with Office365...

Even if MS, and I don't think they will for the moment, ask to pay from 5 to 10 US$ a month to have it, with upgrades and the rest, where is the pb?

Now, when you buy a software, your pay licences + a 20% annuals fees

Where is the problem?

You want to get things freely, so, you want to dev and create apps and get nothing....

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
@imbault - With apps, it's different. An app is just one program on my computer. It isn't the core OS. If I stop paying, I can still use my computer. With an "OS Subscription" on the other hand, if I stop paying, I lose access to the entire computer, which includes my personal data. That is where I draw the line.

*Puts on tin foil hat.* Plus, with a subscription model , Microsoft could engage in deeper spying and disable users at will. (AKA the kill switch.)

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
MS is going back, Satya Nadella made a huge switch, their cloud services are much than good
Windows 10 is very robust
Entreprise version of w10 is pretty good, it's a corporate OS, where is the pb for paying for that for companies???
It's the same with Office365...

Even if MS, and I don't think they will for the moment, ask to pay from 5 to 10 US$ a month to have it, with upgrades and the rest, where is the pb?

Now, when you buy a software, your pay licences + a 20% annuals fees

Where is the problem?

You want to get things freely, so, you want to dev and create apps and get nothing....
Don't want free stuff.. But when you buy a computer you have already paid MS for the pre-installed Windows.

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
MS is not going anywhere. Times are just changing as we live in a connected world. MS is just changing with the times.

Cutomers are interested in apps/programs. They don't give a f*** how they are developed.

When you invest $100,000 of dollars into an Enterprises system you do give a crap what it is written in, what are the support options. The systems I work on at my 'real' job do not sell for $5. Try adding 5 zero's to that. (and that is the get your foot in the door price)

And Google giving away Android for free? LOL. They make their money in the store.

I work at a small software company with 850+ clients. Our clients company's vary in size from only 1 to 50 persons. Right now about 95% of them run on Microsoft products (Windows, windows server, office, ...). The other 5% runs on Mac.
One thing i have to agree with is that MS SQL servers aren't needed anymore. We still use it, but only the express versions as our database rarely grows over 4GB and we don't ask alot of RAM of CPU for our query's.
VS is free for us being Microsoft Gold Partner, as is a lot of other Microsoft software.

!00% agree.

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
MS is not going anywhere. Times are just changing as we live in a connected world. MS is just changing with the times.
Agree, but if the subscription comes to the consumer version of Windows, I'm done. I don't like the idea of having to pay monthly to access my computer.

I have a feeling that if Microsoft tries to pull that on consumers, the macOS and Linux market shares will skyrocket.

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
And why would I use Android as a desktop? If I wanted a free one there a VERY mature Linix distro's out there.

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User