Other [Tool] Online File Hex Editor "hexed.it"

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by fredo, May 11, 2019.

1. fredo

fredo Active Member Licensed User

When including files from external sources, it is sometimes desirable to look at the content (at least the beginning of the file) in binary form.

For example, transmitted CSV files occasionally cause surprising crashes because the header line does not seem to be evaluated as expected. This is because the file was saved as "UTM8 with BOM character" by the sender.

A quick look with Notepad++ does not always help, because the visible result depends on the current "Encoding" setting.​

If no hex editor is installed locally, the use of the fast "hexed.it" can help to evaluate the contents of a file: https://hexed.it/

Info:
    2019-05-11_18-38-58.jpg
    Erel provides a function for handling BOM here: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...utf-8-file-that-might-have-bom.90943/#content

moster67 likes this.
  2. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

Note that you can see it with Notepad++:

Option 1: check the encoding:

[​IMG]

Option 2: View the content with hex mode:

[​IMG]

fredo likes this.
  3. agraham

agraham Expert Licensed User

Is that a plugin? I don't have those icons on my Notepad++ toolbar.

fredo likes this.
  4. DonManfred

DonManfred Expert Licensed User

Yes. Open the Addonmanager, search for HEX, install the HEX-Editor

[​IMG]

fredo, agraham and Erel like this.
  5. agraham

agraham Expert Licensed User

Thanks. Unfortunately the plugin is not high dpi aware so the characters are HUUUUUGE on my Surface Studio so I'll have to stick with HxD for the rare occasion I need to get down and dirty!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice