B4R Question Totally puzzled with this - WeMos D1 Pins set to high arbitrary on one side of the board

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi everybody,

I soldered the pins in a new WeMos D1 R3 mini and I tried to check with the voltometer if everything works fine. Here is what I 've found:

- 5V pin gives around 4,68V which I don't know if it is ok. Any suggestions are highly welcomed.
- 3,3V pins gives 3,29 which is almost perfect I think (the voltometer might be inserting a minor error)
- Pins D0, D5, D6, D7, D8 from one side of the board work as expected (when set to high 3,27-3.29V and when left without setting they have some voltage around 0,02-0,20 - I think it's ok).
- On the other side of the WeMos the party begins:

I started with D4 and this seemed to work fine. I set it to high, measured 3,28, I left it without setting and measured 0,08. I then moved to D3 and set it to high measuring 3,29V. I immediately changed the code to D2 and tried to set this high and normally I measured 3,29V but then I remembered I didn't check with out setting the D3 pin and removed the jumper wire from D2 and plugged it in D3 which without being set in the code to high had a value of 3.27. I added some code to check if there was a short circuit between the two pins and I have set D2 to high and D3 to low. I measured the voltage of each and D2 was 3.29 and D3 was 0,00. Luckily I tried to check without changing the sketch the D4 pin which had a voltage this time of 3.27 :). What am I supposed to believe and debug for this? Any suggestions?

Cheers

P.S. D1 pin worked as expected
P.S.2 I suppose one has to set to low all output pins in AppStart to save some power.

Last edited:

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
I tried setting alternatively D1, D2, D3, D4 to high and all other 3 pins to low. And it worked as expected. What can I make out from both this behaviour and the previous?

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
Longtime User
Firstly you do not say how you are powering the Wemos and secondly, what are you doing with the voltmeter anyway??? Why is the voltage so important to you?

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am powering it with USB. It was the first time I soldered the pins of a board and I wanted to make sure that everything was soldered correctly and works as expected (it didn't) - thus the measuring of the voltage of the pins.

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just measuring the voltage on the pins is not really the best way to check your soldering. It would be easier to use an LED and a resisitor. Set all digital outputs to high and test each one with a jumper wire to the LED. Then do the same with Low, nothing should work! If all outputs work on high and not on low, you have soldered correctly. :)

Upvote 0