Trial Versions

FURY

Licensed User
Longtime User
I will be releasing a new game soon, and would very much appreciate your opinions on the subject of trial versions. I've seen the subject talked about here before, but usually on the specifics of how to create them. I'm more interested in what you like or don't like about them.

As a consumer trying out a software product, specifically a game, do you prefer time limited trials or function limited trials that last forever?

All opinions greatly appreciated!

ExcludeReality

Licensed User
I never liked time-based trials. For some reason I'd rather have nothing then anything with a time limit on it.
However, I think you should go with a small "reduction" of your game instead.
For example; only one level, only one gun or only one enemy.
It depends a lot on your game of course, but the point of a trial is to get the user interested to buy your game.
Good luck

FURY

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for your replies! I also wrote to a couple of the mobile distribution websites for their opinions. Both said time limited.

I'm considering doing a trial that sort of combines both types, in that it is time limited each time that you start the game. The trial would be useful forever, but time limited every time it is played. And I actually found that idea in another thread on this forum.

Something along those lines anyway. I just want to avoid overly crippling the trial version to the point that it doesn't show off the game at its best, and I also don't want to make the trial satisfying enough to where it doesn't generate sales. Double-edged sword. Price will be low, so that should help.