iOS Question Trouble trying to build a B4-Bridge app

Neil Rohan

Licensed User
I'm having a problem similar to several I've seen recently posted. Apologize in advance if I've missed a posted solution...

I have a provision profile with a wildcard ID (b4i.*). My certificate is an IOS development type. I am trying to build a B4i-Bridge App for my iPhone (which previously had the B4i-Bridge app installed but inexplicably stopped working.) I'm using Apple Configurator and XCODE Version 14.0 on a macBook Pro.

Here is my error message:

B4i Version: 8.00
Parsing code. (0.00s)
Building folders structure. (0.00s)
Compiling code. (0.00s)
Building designer app. (0.01s)
Building Xcode project. (0.08s)
Preparing project for builder. (0.04s)
Project size: 0.23 MB
Sending data to remote compiler. Error
Out: Command line invocation:
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/xcodebuild -configuration Release PRODUCT_NAME=B4i-Bridge CONFIGURATION_BUILD_DIR=/Users/neilrohan/Downloads/B4iBuildServer/UploadedProjects/<user id>/Payload "CODE_SIGN_IDENTITY=iPhone Developer: Neil Rohan (8TL8SJ7MKB)" "OTHER_CODE_SIGN_FLAGS=--keychain <user id>" PROVISIONING_PROFILE=a4971363-d69c-4bf7-b010-824a3ba6a8ff -arch armv7 -arch arm64

User defaults from command line:
IDEPackageSupportUseBuiltinSCM = YES

Build settings from command line:
ARCHS = armv7 arm64
CODE_SIGN_IDENTITY = iPhone Developer: Neil Rohan (8TL8SJ7MKB)
CONFIGURATION_BUILD_DIR = /Users/neilrohan/Downloads/B4iBuildServer/UploadedProjects/<user id>/Payload
OTHER_CODE_SIGN_FLAGS = --keychain <user id>
PRODUCT_NAME = B4i-Bridge
PROVISIONING_PROFILE = a4971363-d69c-4bf7-b010-824a3ba6a8ff

note: Using codesigning identity override: iPhone Developer: Neil Rohan (8TL8SJ7MKB)
Computing target dependency graph and provisioning inputs

Create build description
Build description signature: 598e768970e65adb71175729962d2836
Build description path: /Users/neilrohan/Downloads/B4iBuildServer/UploadedProjects/<user id>/build/XCBuildData/598e768970e65adb71175729962d2836-desc.xcbuild

warning: Building targets in manual order is deprecated - check "Parallelize build for command-line builds" in the project editor, or set DISABLE_MANUAL_TARGET_ORDER_BUILD_WARNING in any of the targets in the current build to suppress this warning
error: The armv7 architecture is deprecated. You should update your ARCHS build setting to remove the armv7 architecture. (in target 'B4iProject' from project 'B4iProject')

Error: ** BUILD FAILED **

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Neil Rohan

Licensed User
After reviewing some more relevant material, I attempted to build a B4i-Bridge App using the following parameters:
Certificate Type: iOS Distribution
ID: b4i.* (i.e. wildcard)
Profile type: AdHoc, using the ID and certificate shown above. Here is the new error message:

Create build description
Build description signature: b7808d1c1146bc7aeb9a124a26df285d
Build description path: /Users/neilrohan/Downloads/B4iBuildServer/UploadedProjects/<user id>/build/XCBuildData/b7808d1c1146bc7aeb9a124a26df285d-desc.xcbuild

warning: Building targets in manual order is deprecated - check "Parallelize build for command-line builds" in the project editor, or set DISABLE_MANUAL_TARGET_ORDER_BUILD_WARNING in any of the targets in the current build to suppress this warning
error: The armv7 architecture is deprecated. You should update your ARCHS build setting to remove the armv7 architecture. (in target 'B4iProject' from project 'B4iProject')

Error: ** BUILD FAILED **

Still needing some guidance here.

Upvote 0

gglaz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
same problem with release app.
Xcode14 version is required as apps built with 13.2 or 13.4 cannot be installed on iPhones running iOS 16.

Upvote 0

Neil Rohan

Licensed User
Erel,

I have Developer Mode enabled on my iPhone SE running iOS 16.0
I am using a Ad hoc provisioning profile with a wildcard app id (b4i.*).
I am using a Distribution Certificate
I am using xCode Version 14, B4i version 8.00

My iPad still has a functioning B4i-Bridge app installed. I can build release apps that install normally on the iPad using development cert/profile. I can build a release app that I've uploaded to the App Store using a certificate/profile with explicit parameters.

It is only when I try and build a b4i-bridge app using the above mentioned parameters. I get the following error:
ErrorMsg_Bridge.png

I used xCode to open the B4iProject.xcodeproject file and attempted to build it from within. I get this opening screen:

xcodenoticesmall.jpg

If I check Update and Build, the build succeeds; if not, it fails.

Can the problem be with xCode Vers 14.0? I looked through the forum archives and found this thread post from you:

Apr 4, 2018
Add bookmark
There is indeed a change in the way Xcode 9.3 searches for the provision profile. It will be supported in the next version of B4i.

For now you should use previous versions of Xcode 9. You can go to this page: https://developer.apple.com/download/more/
Search for Xcode 9.2 and install it.

Do I need to reinstall xCode 13.x ??

Upvote 0

Neil Rohan

Licensed User
Create a new project. Don't change anything except of the package name. Build B4i-Bridge.

Does it work?
New project, name package "test". Tried a distribution as well as a development profile (ad hoc - wildcard). Screenshots included below. Tried a simulator build and it worked on macBook Pro.
testprojecterror.png

testprojecterror.png

Attachments

• testprojectcode.png
    testprojectcode.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 79
  • testprojecterror2.png
    testprojecterror2.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0

Neil Rohan

Licensed User
Sorry you are using Xcode 14, right? You should install Xcode 13.x for now.
Thanks Erel. I presume that an update to B4i will be forthcoming, so I think I'll stick with Xcode 14 for now, since it functions properly for simulator and app store builds and I avoid the mess of having two versions on the same machine. As for the B4i-Bridge app, I will subscribe to Hosted Builder to build the B4i-Builder app if you will send me a link.

Upvote 0

Neil Rohan

Licensed User
Thanks Erel. I presume that an update to B4i will be forthcoming, so I think I'll stick with Xcode 14 for now, since it functions properly for simulator and app store builds and I avoid the mess of having two versions on the same machine. As for the B4i-Bridge app, I will subscribe to Hosted Builder to build the B4i-Builder app if you will send me a link.
Never mind, I found the link to Hosted Builder.

Upvote 0

gglaz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Never mind, I found the link to Hosted Builder.
Hi,
does this work for you via the hosted builder?
After downloading the app on the iPhone with iOS 16, I get the message: The app "xy" could not be installed. Please try again later. Settings - Privacy & Security -> Developer Mode is activated

Upvote 0

Neil Rohan

Licensed User
Hi,
does this work for you via the hosted builder?
After downloading the app on the iPhone with iOS 16, I get the message: The app "xy" could not be installed. Please try again later. Settings - Privacy & Security -> Developer Mode is activated
Erel,

I have access to four iOS devices:

iPhone6plus (iOS 12.5.5)
iPhone SE (iOS 16.0)
iPadMini4 (iOS 15.6.1)
iPad(6th Gen) (iOS 15.6.1)

I was able to install the B4i-Bridge app on all four devices using the Hosted Builder. What was NOT obvious was that #MinVersion Project Attribute HAD TO BE SET TO 8 !! It would not work on 11.

Once B4i-Bridge was installed, I was able to install apps into each device using the Hosted Builder.

Switching to Local Builder (macBook Pro, Xcode 14.0): I was able to install apps into each device but IMPORTANTLY, this required setting the #MinVersion Project Attribute to 11.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I had the same issue as post 1.

I found Apple updated my Xcode to version 14 on my Mac automatically. I got it working by installing xCode 13.

In case anyone else needs it..

- https://developer.apple.com/download/all/?q=xCode 13.4
- I downloaded xCode 13.4 (10GB file)
- Once downloaded, double click on the file and it will extract it automatically. (took me around 10-15 minutes to extract)
- Once extracted, you will need to open xCode on the Mac.
- From the xCode menu choose Preferences.
- Select the location tab.
- Find the Command Line Tools and choose the xCode version you just downloaded.
- Now B4i will work. (Well it did for me.)

Upvote 0

Neil Rohan

Licensed User
I had the same issue as post 1.

I found Apple updated my Xcode to version 14 on my Mac automatically. I got it working by installing xCode 13.

In case anyone else needs it..

- https://developer.apple.com/download/all/?q=xCode 13.4
- I downloaded xCode 13.4 (10GB file)
- Once downloaded, double click on the file and it will extract it automatically. (took me around 10-15 minutes to extract)
- Once extracted, you will need to open xCode on the Mac.
- From the xCode menu choose Preferences.
- Select the location tab.
- Find the Command Line Tools and choose the xCode version you just downloaded.
- Now B4i will work. (Well it did for me.)
That's consistent with what happened to me. I left XCode 14 on my Mac because the simulator suite that comes with it seems to support every device Apple ever made, including the new iPhone 14. Only other notable thing about XCode 14 was that the #MinVersion Project Attribute had to be set to 11 for my programs to build without error (it crashed with 8 selected).

XCode 14 WILL NOT build a B4i-Bridge (yet). It was recommended to reinstall XCode 13.4 (like you did). I just decided to spend $29 and get the Hosted Builder to take care of building the bridge. Overkill I know,

Upvote 0