Android Question trouble with 1.7.0 vs 1.3.1 core core

snapril

Licensed User
Hope someone can help me.

I loaded the latest version of the
And I was trying to work with FirebaseAdMob2

I got this error at compile time.

Linking resources Error
c:\android\tools\..\extras\b4a_remote\androidx\core\core\1.7.0\unpacked-core-1.7.0\res\values\values.xml:113: error: resource android:attr/lStar not found.
error: failed linking references.

It seems to be requesting files in the directory

c:\android\tools\..\extras\b4a_remote\androidx\core\core\1.7.0\unpacked-core-1.7.0\res\values

I do have a directory

c:\android\tools\..\extras\b4a_remote\androidx\core\core\1.3.1\unpacked-core-1.3.1\res\values

where is that 1.7.0 directory come from and how do I get that one? I thought I loaded the latest version.

Thank you

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 1

snapril

Licensed User
Thanks for your response. I tried down loading the 2 zip files and unzipped then with 7 like you sugggested

but there is no core/core/1.7.0 folder. I think it must be something simple but I can't seem to find it.

Upvote 0

snapril

Licensed User

mcqueccu

Thanks for response. I did use 7zip. I did it first by right clicking and then doing the (7 Zip) Extract option

And I also tried it by bring up the 7Zip program.

Still I seem to not have a folder named
c:\android\tools\..\extras\b4a_remote\androidx\core\core\1.7.0\ ect

I do have one named

c:\android\tools\..\extras\b4a_remote\androidx\core\core\1.3.1\ ect.

There does not seem to be anything wrong with my Zip extraction.

Upvote 0

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello, I checked the resource I downloaded the last time and its also has core 1.3.1 and I used firebaseAdmob2 and I never encounter such problem.

I think you should follow the firebaseadmob2 installation procedure one more time.

Betterstill, run only the firebaseadmob2 Example and see if you will encounter such problem?

Upvote 0

snapril

Licensed User
Thanks for your response.
Hello, I checked the resource I downloaded the last time and its also has core 1.3.1 and I used firebaseAdmob2 and I never encounter such problem.
Do you also have a core 1.7.0 directory?
when I added the firebaseAdmob2 library and tried to run I get the message (below( which seems to ask for 1.7.0
Linking resources Error
c:\android\tools\..\extras\b4a_remote\androidx\core\core\1.7.0\unpacked-core-1.7.0\res\values\values.xml:113: error: resource android:attr/lStar not found.
Note I am running B4A 11.0
Jim in Ohio USA

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Guess you did downloaded any updates in the old SDK you have had installed. This is probably where the 1.7 folder comes from?

Also note that the SDK-Tools itself has changed. It is mandatory with B4A 10.x+ that you are using the new tools. And the new SDK.

Again. DELETE your SDK-Folder and install a fresh one based on the Installationinstructions.
DONĀ“T forget to configure the ide to use the newly installed SDK.

Upvote 0

MikeSW17

Licensed User
Odd, my system is fully up-to-date (to the best of my knowledge) and I have "unpacked-core-1.6.0".

When you run the SDK Manager, what 'SDK Version' do you see?

Upvote 0

MikeSW17

Licensed User
.... Also, I note your only other post referred to the download link for Java not working.
I assume you eventually got the link to work, rather than downloading from elsewhere (as warned NOT to do)?

Upvote 0

Raywingit

Licensed User
Longtime User
This may be an old thread, but I just hit the same issue, Androidx.core:core version 1.7.0 has a problem.
What I have, is 3 B4A computers - 2 on Win 10, working fine, and one now converted to Win 11 and it is now failing.
The history here is I've developed several apps over several years, and was dependent on Android Studio keeping the
SDk updated (while not actually using Studio, which sucks) - then when they integrated the AVD it became impossible
to launch an AVD then shut Studio down, I killed off Studio and re-installed from scratch the Java, SDK, Tools, Extra bits.
On all 3 computers, over the past 3 months. The Win 10 > 11 computer had compiled successfully until I did the scratch
install today. Comparing the SDK installed versions, 1.7.0 gets a compile error:
And does not show the 1.3.1 as available on the list. So I will attempt to copy it over from one computer to the other.
HACK HACK
Plus, the AVDs do not work on Win 11 because the HAXM function conflicts with the hardware security. Who thought of that one?
I mean in Intel consulted at all by Microstiff?

Upvote 0

Raywingit

Licensed User
Longtime User
And - hacking got no-where, so I re-installed the Java, SDK, Tools and Resources, using the windows unzip (as usual) and rescued the
C:Android/Tools/Lib blank_name folder contents, then B4A compiled with no errors, AND in the SDK manager, it shows androidx.core:core1.3.1
in use, and 1.7.0 available as an option. (which I will avoid for now)
Which poses the question of why this happens. The B4A SDK manager wanted to download tons of stuff when it was run prior to the error.
Presumably because the file structure was incorrect so it didn't find the right stuff. So it got the newer 1.7.0 file. Exactly why it is happy now
is a mystery, but good. But this proves 1.7.0 is broken, compared to 1.3.1. I'm going to ignore it.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
SDK, Tools and Resources, using the windows unzip (as usual)
Windows unzip can corrupt the folder structure (known but unfixed bug in Windows 10, don't know about 11) which is why you should use 7-Zip as the installation instructions state.

Upvote 0

Raywingit

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am remiss. but :

trouble with 1.7.0 vs 1.3.1 core core​

is a valid issue, regardless of unzipping, is my point.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
is a valid issue
The issue is that you updated the artifacts where you should NOT do it. 1.3.1 is the delivered version when installing the SDK.

The next release of B4A wil get a new toolchain-support.
Probably 1.7.0 is useable with the next release.

Upvote 0

Raywingit

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sounds good - I was used to Android Studio keeping the SDK updated every time I used it, so was not concerned when the SDK manager wanted to update it in B4A. So we should avoid using the SDK manager in B4A to update anything. How useful.

Upvote 0

Raywingit

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just to clarify, reinstalling worked fine, using B4A procedure. I am prone to take risks when sorting out the SDK/JDK, because I was until recently using Studio and accepting every auto upgrade. I don't care if it destroys an IDE, because I run with 3 independent rigs, as I admit I don't know why I need to do any of this. Anecdotally, I am reminded of the big engineering boss who came to a software demonstration and immediately poked every button and danced on the keyboard. Nothing worked, and he said "it's not ready yet" and left.

Upvote 0

Raywingit

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just to clarify my earlier post in this thread re. Win 11 and AVD not working. As of HAXM version 7.7.1 and Enabling the Intel Virtualization in the BIOS, my AVD issue was resolved. (Mostly - I mean we all have our issues)

Upvote 0