trouble with serial communication

Joe08

I'm new to basic4ppc and I tried some of the sample applications. The serialterminal.spb does compile (I use the desktop IDE), runs on desktop in debug mode, no problem. Then I transfer the .exe file and the serialDevice.dll to the mobile device. The application starts with no errors, but when the port has been opened a msgbox appears stating "before loop". When I close the application another mcgbox appears with "0 1". In no case there is a data transfer. I have no idea what's wrong. Who generates these boxes?
I use basic4ppc, version 5.80. My PC's OS is Windows XP prof, SP2 with .NET 1.1 and .NET3.0 installed. The mobile device is an HP4150 with ROM version 1.10.04 GER, and Windows CE 4.20.0 (build 14053).
Any idea is welcome. Thank you.
:sign0085:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hacked pirate copy of Basic4ppc? The official demo versions cannot compile to exe and 5.80 is way obsolete. Why not try the latest official trial versions? You can run your code on both desktop and device in their respective IDEs and if you like it buy a licence for the full versions that can compile to exe.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
No! This is an official registered version!!!
Good, you just don't appear as a registered user on the forum (one or more stars under your name) and as we have had a couple of posts in the past from users of hacked versions enquiring about odd behaviour after compilation I did wonder. Sorry to have doubted you.

I have no idea where those message boxes are coming from. I've looked in the SerialDevice library and there are no MessageBox statements in there nor are there any in the SerialTerminal demo app so that is very puzzling :confused:

If I remember correctly version 5.80 does not have the optimised compiler so you are restricted to legacy compilations. What .NET version is on your device? The device IDE File->Help->About will tell you. If it starts with "2" then SerialDesktop may well not work as it has an incompatibility with .NET 2.0 and you need to use Serial2. If it starts with 1 it should be 1.0.4292.0. If not you need .NET Compact Framework1 Service Pack 3 but I would strongly advise installing .NET COmpactFramework 2.0 SP2 as the performance is rather better than 1.0. There's a link to it on this page. You will need this for when you decide to buy the latest version :) as it is needed both on the desktop for optimised compilation and the device for optimised compiled app execution.

Joe08

Hello Erel and Agraham, thank you for your quick help. The Device's .NET version is 1.0.3111. The new serialdevice.dll does -unfortunately- not help. I did replace it and did a complete new compile run. No effect, still same problem. As I also looked into the dll and did not find any texts like the one I described I suspect the mobile device's (HP IPAQ 4150) bios (revision is 1.1). Nevertheless, thanks for your help!