Android Question Turn on GPS

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Here:
B4X:
Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)
   Dim NativeMe As JavaObject
   NativeMe.InitializeContext
   NativeMe.RunMethod("turnGPSOn", Null)
End Sub
#If JAVA
import android.content.Intent;
import android.net.Uri;
import android.provider.Settings;
public void turnGPSOn()
{
  Intent intent = new Intent("android.location.GPS_ENABLED_CHANGE");
  intent.putExtra("enabled", true);
  this.sendBroadcast(intent);

String provider = Settings.Secure.getString(getContentResolver(), Settings.Secure.LOCATION_PROVIDERS_ALLOWED);
  if(!provider.contains("gps")){ //if gps is disabled
  final Intent poke = new Intent();
  poke.setClassName("com.android.settings", "com.android.settings.widget.SettingsAppWidgetProvider");
  poke.addCategory(Intent.CATEGORY_ALTERNATIVE);
  poke.setData(Uri.parse("3"));
  this.sendBroadcast(poke);

}
}
#End IF

It doesn't work (as expected).

Upvote 0

jefflynn1974

Licensed User
Longtime User

Of course I read. The first method needs root and the second one is not working on newer devices.

At my link's code they say that it works and no mention about root.

Wow, you were so fast Erel! Thanks, I will try it too.

Upvote 0

eurojam

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have also tried Erels code, which is the code from your stackoverflow thread as inline java code - that is a realy awesome method in the new b4a!! - but it didn't work. I think the device must be also rooted. The log say's something like this: Caused by: java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: not allowed to send broadcast android.location.GPS_ENABLED_CHANGE from pid=21326, uid=10107

Upvote 0

jefflynn1974

Licensed User
Longtime User
I checked the method on some devices and results are mixed. It worked on rooted phones with 4.0.3 and 4.3. There was a positive result too on a 4.1.2 without root and a negative on 4.4.2. Last one give an error code: "An error has occured in sub: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException" I think it is a different error than Eurojam's, isn't it?

Eurojam, on which version have you tried?

Upvote 0
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…