Android Question Unicode diacritic characters

Rusty

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm having trouble displaying simple Spanish characters in an edittext.
My program combines diacritics with characters i.e. ñǹn̂ńn̈. When they display in the edittext, the character with the ̂ over it does not display the ̂. All others display correctly.
(Also, a button with ̂ as the only text does not show anything, but ~ (cc83) and others show fine.)
I assume that edittexts are automatically UTF-8, but am not sure.
Any advice is appreciated.
Rusty

Rusty

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Erel.
I've tried it with custom fonts, i even tried it with the lib fontawesome and no luck.
In my logs, when I touch the button, the value is there and the log shows the correct combined character. Even in code the correct character is there, but when the edittext.text is updated, only the "base" character (n in the above case). the ñ etc all show well...and they are created with the same diacritic code (normalize).
Only the "caret" doesn't show...
I'd think that fontawesome would work since the diacritic and letters are within that font.
Rusty

btw. I'm using "n" and the diacritic "~" to create the character and not using the base character "ñ". I do this because I also support languages such as Korean and many others that actually use the diacritics to build characters.

Upvote 0