Android Question Urban Airship integration

Andrew (Digitwell)

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a client who wants to use Urban Airship https://www.urbanairship.com/ to push messages to their users.
Has anyone worked with this API.

Is it possible to use Erel's Firebase messaging within the app, and connect it to Urban Airship?

Thanks

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Andrew (Digitwell)

Licensed User
Longtime User
No, the client says they want to use the targeting features that UA provides. e.g. Send to Android only etc. I did explain about the cost etc, but they seem to be pretty sure they want to use that front end.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Send to Android only
Use FCM
- subscribe to the Topic ANDROID in your Android-App
- subscribe to the Topic IOS in your IOS-App.

To reach all Android-User:
- Send a Notification to the Topic ANDROID.
For iOS Users:
- send to Topic IOS.

Already possible (again; for FREE)

but they seem to be pretty sure they want to use that front end.
You now have some good reason to talk again to him; Why pay for anything what you can have for free using FCM?

Also other possibilities are possible using a small b4j server or a php-hosting (even a cheap one).

Ok there is no Frontend for FCM; need to be written by yourself if really needed.

It´s his decision. I would write the Frontend by myself using PHP (for a cheap hosting) or using a B4J Server app (VPS or Server needed)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrew (Digitwell)

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, you are quite correct DomManfred.
I have already offered to develop a frontend either in B4j for Windows or as a some sort of Webportal doing something like you describe in terms of topics, but they are convinced that there are features there which they will be able to make use of without incurring additional development cost.

So if anyone has used Urban Airship. That would be really useful to understand their experience with it.

Upvote 0