B4J Question USB Devices

Kevin Hartin

Licensed User
I am using the USB ADBhost code at https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/android-usb-host-tutorial-adbtest.11289/ as the basis of a SmartCard reader.

In B4A it is working great to find the USB device and I am able to select the correct device based on Class and Subclass. I can send APDU commands, but I am stuck getting any response.

So.. I thought I'd port it to B4J and use a Smartcard logging app to see if I could sniff out the issue.
B4X:
Sub FindSmartCardDevice As Boolean
    Dim usbdevices() As UsbDevice
    usbdevices = manager.GetDevices

'Iterate over devices and find the correct one
    For i = 0 To usbdevices.Length - 1
        Dim ud As UsbDevice
        ud = usbdevices(i)
        Log("USBdevices: " & ud)
        'Iterate over interfaces
        For a = 0 To ud.InterfaceCount - 1
            Dim inter As UsbInterface
            inter = ud.GetInterface(a)
            Log("Class|SubClass: " & inter.InterfaceClass & "|" & inter.InterfaceSubclass)
            If inter.InterfaceClass = 11 And inter.InterfaceSubclass = 0 Then
                'found our device and interface
                device = ud
                interface = inter
                'Find correct endpoints
                For b = 0 To interface.EndpointCount - 1
                    Dim endpoint As UsbEndpoint
                    endpoint = interface.GetEndpoint(b)
                    Log("EndPoint Address: " & endpoint.Address & "|Attributes: " & endpoint.Attributes & "|Direction: " & endpoint.Direction & "|EndpointNumber: " & endpoint.EndpointNumber & "|Interval: " & endpoint.Interval & "|MaxPacketSize: " & endpoint.MaxPacketSize & "|Type: " & endpoint.Type)
                    If endpoint.Type = manager.USB_ENDPOINT_XFER_BULK Then
'                        Log("Endpoint  Address: " & endpoint.Address & "|Type: " & endpoint.Type & "|Direction: " & endpoint.Direction)
                        If endpoint.Direction = manager.USB_DIR_IN Then
                            inEndpoint = endpoint
                        Else If endpoint.Direction = manager.USB_DIR_OUT Then
                            outEndpoint = endpoint
                        End If
                    End If
                Next
            End If
        Next
    Next
    If device.IsInitialized = False Then Log("Smartcard device not found.")
End Sub
The code seems to go over fine, but on compiling it gives the following error for the line "inter = ud.GetInterface(a)"
Java Error:
Compiling generated Java code.    Error
B4J line: 112
inter = ud.GetInterface(a)
src\b4j\example\main.java:211: error: package android.hardware.usb does not exist
_inter = (anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.usb.UsbManagerWrapper.UsbInterfaceWrapper) anywheresoftware.b4a.AbsObjectWrapper.ConvertToWrapper(new anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.usb.UsbManagerWrapper.UsbInterfaceWrapper(), (android.hardware.usb.UsbInterface)(_ud.GetInterface(_a)));
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            ^
1 error
Why is there a mention of android in a B4J error? Does the USB library work in B4J?

The Library Manager seems to indicate it is OK

Thanks,
Kev

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…