useful features

albgreco

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, here is my wishlist...:)
I think it would be useful to have some new features, at least in the desktop version, that would make life easier when editing a program.
1) In the rightmost section, where subs, objects, and controls are shown, only subs now have links; it would be useful that controls also had links, such as it would be possible to have info about the container form name or, even better, to directly access to/modify their properties.
2) going to some object (button, text, etc.) routines is not straightforward: why not implementing direct access by double-clicking on the visual object itself?
3) resizable forms would be useful when they have to be shown in the desktop version of a program
Finally, more meaningful error messages and some editing improvement also in the device version would be appreciated...
Perhaps too many wishes...:sign0013:
Thank you,
Alberto

colin9876

Licensed User
Totally disagree

dont agree that its a 'wishlist' item for Basic4ppc to have re sizeable forms when its only available on desktop
Any feature that increases disparity between PC and PPC code is (in the long run) detremental to the product.
It will just lead to people writing code that then doesnt work on the device. People should remember this is Basic4PPC.

Update - although there is a gap in the market for a simple Basic compiler now VB.Net has got extra complicated! Microsoft even managed to muck VB6 up lol!

Last edited:

BjornF

Licensed User
Longtime User
Another point of view

Well, yes. I agree that Basic4ppc is for ppcs and I suspect that that is why most of us bought it.

However, I myself have increasingly begun using it for Pc programs, especially for things like simple databases. It is just so much more simple to program in Basic4ppc than in other more common programming languages. When I wish to use the database etc on the ppc it is relatively simple to adjust the program, leaving me with two versions (ppc and pc) which are structurally identical but with slightly differing functionality.

In my personal opinion the addition of agraham's Formexdesktop dll :sign0188:, makes Basic4ppc a more complete programming solution and I would be sorry if that trend was stopped.

All the best / Björn

Sorry Colin, I missed your update - this is exactly what I mean

Last edited:

albgreco

Licensed User
Longtime User
dont agree that its a 'wishlist' item for Basic4ppc to have re sizeable forms when its only available on desktop
Any feature that increases disparity between PC and PPC code is (in the long run) detremental to the product.
It will just lead to people writing code that then doesnt work on the device. People should remember this is Basic4PPC.

Update - although there is a gap in the market for a simple Basic compiler now VB.Net has got extra complicated! Microsoft even managed to muck VB6 up lol!
I did not intend resizable forms in order to develop "desktop-only" applications. The problem is that when forms are shown in desktop they simply are too small. Of course one could change the desktop resolution, but it would not be a practical solution.... May be there is another way I don't know to get around this. A "zoom" feature would do the same job.
Alberto

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
You could change the screen size (of all forms) in the Visual Designer - Screen Size.
The screen size parameters only affect the desktop.
Forms on devices are always the same size of the device screen.
See the Tetris example which is 640 * 480 on the desktop and 320 * 240 on a QVGA device (same code): http://www.b4x.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470