Android Question Using in my application an image that is in "/Downloads" (with Android 13)

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, I don't have Android 13 to test, and I would like to know if this is true. I explain:
I have an application in which the user can use images that he has downloaded (with the web browser) in the "/Downloads" directory, and I have been told by some friends that the "play store" is not going to accept applications that can do that.
Is that true, or is there any way to still be able to use images from "/Downloads"?
Thank you very much.

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
That's true. It's is no longer allowed for security regulations "made by Google" on newer versions of Android. The directory is simply not accessible on newer versions of Android. Don't ask me why Google is doing such stupid things, I am tired about complaining against Google.
You can lower the target SDK-level of your app in manifest, but then Google will not accept an upload of this app to the playstore, so this is only a way to go for non-playstore-app. I think the "download folder restriction" was starting with SDK30, so setting your app to SDK29 should work for you, but not with the playstore.

Upvote 0

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Not sure, but if I’m not wrong, you can get the image using ContentChooser

Upvote 0

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Not sure, but if I’m not wrong, you can get the image using ContentChooser

But will google accept it in apps uploaded to their store?

Upvote 0

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Let's wait for someone to answer, I have no apps in Google Play, but I think there will be no problem. ContentChooser doesn't need permissions, and is the user who choose the image, so there's no problem with privacy or unwanted use.

Upvote 0

zed

Licensed User
Let's wait for someone to answer, I have no apps in Google Play, but I think there will be no problem. ContentChooser doesn't need permissions, and is the user who choose the image, so there's no problem with privacy or unwanted use.

Not sure.
I created a folder myself, specifically to store the images and be able to retrieve them via my application.
When I go to the folder with contentchooser I am not allowed to take my images.
I see them but they are not accessible.
However, it is my folder and my images.

Upvote 0

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is something I don't understand and it doesn't make sense.
Is it assumed that from android 13 with the web browser you can not download anything because you can not save in "/Downloads"?
I explain with an example, we open the web browser, download a pdf file, open it with the pdf viewer.
Will it not be possible to do that?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But will google accept it in apps uploaded to their store?
Using Contenchooser is the recommended way. I don´t see a reason why the app should not accepted because of using contentchooser.

Upvote 0

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
With Contentchooser, then:
Do you mean that from my application I can access, for example, "/Downloads" and copy the files I am interested in to the directory of my application?
With android >=13 and allowed by google store?

Upvote 0