value not assigned error

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I have a panel in wich i load up to 10 label with the filenames of a specific directory...so far so good.
Then I use the mouse down event to determine the user choice, and change the correspondent label to a red font...so far so good....unless i tap on an empty label, then I get the error:

If control(selected).text<>"" then control(selected).fontcolor=cred

Error description:
Variable selected was not assigned any value.

If i disable the "check unassigned variables" option I get a NullReference error!!!

I know it wasn't, because the label is empty, but should the condition return false and do nothing?

Anyway for the time being i first load all labels with a "." and the test to see if its diferent...That works but the dots are
Ugly!

Update: Replaced the "." with a space and it works...I'll stick with it!!

Last edited:

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I suspect that 'selected' has no value, try inserting a MsgBox(selected) prior to the If statement.
How are you assigning the value for 'selected'??

Regards,
RandomCoder

specci48

Licensed User
Longtime User
Could it be a Bug in the LinkLabel library? Since you use the lable_click event you are not using the "normal" label functions.

Maybe someone could have a look a the source-file hoffi provided.

specci48

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank Guys...

No i was not using the linklabel, as i worked around that with the mouse event...

My logical was:

if mouse down xy in area of label1 then
label1.fontcolor red
selected="label1"
else if....and so on
at the end I passed the labels text using Control(selected).text

as some of the labels wre not beeing populated their value remained "" and thus the error, worked around by first inserting a space in every label before populating....

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
CableGuy,

I understand that you've worked round the problem now :sign0060:, but I've passed text to labels created at run-time with null text value and not experienced any problems so I think that there must be some other underlying problem in your code or installation

Try this and see if it works for you...

B4X:
Sub Globals

End Sub

Sub App_Start
   AddForm("Form1","LABEL TESTER")
   AddButton("Form1","ClickMe",50,50,100,20," CLICK ME")
   AddLabel("Form1","TestLabel",50,100,100,20,"")
   Form1.Show
End Sub

Sub ClickMe_Click
   Selected="TestLabel"
   Control(Selected).Text="Works for me!"
End Sub

Is it possible that you're using the variable 'Selected' somewhere else in your code??

Regards,
RandomCoder

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…