value not assigned error

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I have a panel in wich i load up to 10 label with the filenames of a specific directory...so far so good.
Then I use the mouse down event to determine the user choice, and change the correspondent label to a red font...so far so good....unless i tap on an empty label, then I get the error:

If control(selected).text<>"" then control(selected).fontcolor=cred

Error description:
Variable selected was not assigned any value.

If i disable the "check unassigned variables" option I get a NullReference error!!!

I know it wasn't, because the label is empty, but should the condition return false and do nothing?

Anyway for the time being i first load all labels with a "." and the test to see if its diferent...That works but the dots are
Ugly!

Update: Replaced the "." with a space and it works...I'll stick with it!!

Last edited:

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I suspect that 'selected' has no value, try inserting a MsgBox(selected) prior to the If statement.
How are you assigning the value for 'selected'??

Regards,
RandomCoder

specci48

Licensed User
Longtime User
Could it be a Bug in the LinkLabel library? Since you use the lable_click event you are not using the "normal" label functions.

Maybe someone could have a look a the source-file hoffi provided.

specci48

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank Guys...

No i was not using the linklabel, as i worked around that with the mouse event...

My logical was:

if mouse down xy in area of label1 then
label1.fontcolor red
selected="label1"
else if....and so on
at the end I passed the labels text using Control(selected).text

as some of the labels wre not beeing populated their value remained "" and thus the error, worked around by first inserting a space in every label before populating....

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
CableGuy,

I understand that you've worked round the problem now :sign0060:, but I've passed text to labels created at run-time with null text value and not experienced any problems so I think that there must be some other underlying problem in your code or installation :confused:

Try this and see if it works for you...

B4X:
Sub Globals

End Sub

Sub App_Start
   AddForm("Form1","LABEL TESTER")
   AddButton("Form1","ClickMe",50,50,100,20," CLICK ME")
   AddLabel("Form1","TestLabel",50,100,100,20,"")
   Form1.Show
End Sub

Sub ClickMe_Click
   Selected="TestLabel"
   Control(Selected).Text="Works for me!"
End Sub

Is it possible that you're using the variable 'Selected' somewhere else in your code??

Regards,
RandomCoder