Share My Creation Velocity Calculator

My very first android app. A basic Racing Pigeon Velocity Calculator. Works well on my Acer iconia tab, (I've set it for landscape only) but will it work on other android devices. Please would you kind people test this out for me as I'm not sure yet of the various resolutions, screen sizes etc.
Can I also say what a first class piece of software this Basic4Android package is.
thanks Rob

Attachments

• VelocityCalc.zip
    65.2 KB · Views: 859

Merlot2309

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Rob,

The layout does not fit on an Android phone, so I can't really test it. My HTC e.g. has a 320 x 480 screen.
Soll I think you have to add at least one other layout.
Didn't try that myself yet.

Anyway no errors on loading, so it's a good beginning.

Greets,
Helen.

fraxinus

Licensed User
Longtime User
Velocity Calculator update

Hi Helen

Thanks for taking the time out to try the app.
I've resized to 320x480 so could you please try out again.

Thanks
Rob

Attachments

• VelocityCalc.zip
    65.2 KB · Views: 487

Merlot2309

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Rob,

You have to rearrange all; buttons, labels, imageviews (canvas should be a better option for resizing images).

I will test your original app tomorrow on my tablet.

There should be some info on the forum about using two completely different screen sizes in one app.

Greets,
Helen.

kickaha

Licensed User
Longtime User
Rob,

As Helen said - you need to resize things as nothing is fitting on any of my test devices.

I do have a few comments though, and please take these in the spirit they are offered - that is an honest view to help you improve rather than someone trying to critisize your work.

1) The text boxes should be set for number input rather than text (in designer)

2) The velocity boxes should either be labels, or be disabled so that you cannot enter things.

3) In your code you should check that Miles, yards, hours, minutes and seconds contain valid numbers BEFORE any calculations. At the moment you can put text into the boxes and crash the app. If any of the values are not valid you should return from the sub so the app does not crash.

:sign0089:

fraxinus

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the advise on the text entries. I was unaware that it could be changed in the designer. I did disable the velocity and MPH boxes and this worked on my device.
I will update app with your sound advise this evening.
Thanks both
Rob

fraxinus

Licensed User
Longtime User

I've updated app to 320x 480 landscape.
Changed text boxes to numbers only and added as many "if error" that I can see. Hope this is some improvement over my last effort.
Thanks
Rob

Attachments

• VelocityCalc.zip
    65.2 KB · Views: 440

kickaha

Licensed User
Longtime User
Rob,

The layout still does not work, as most of the views are positioned off the screen.

A few more observations:

txtdistance60 and txttime60 are never used for anything

I would check the inputs for:

Yards should be less than 1760
minutes and seconds should be less than 60

fraxinus

Licensed User
Longtime User

I've just realized the difference between designing on a hard device such as my Acer Iconia tab and the emulator. (Totally different)Hope I've made some improvement on resolution etc.
thanks
Rob

Attachments

• velocity3.zip
    347.9 KB · Views: 660