B4J Question VPS Monitoring

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I am about to put my B4J app on a VPS server and looking at what others have used to monitor there VPS servers.

I was looking at local and remote monitoring.

Local Monitoring
Making sure the B4J app is running on the server, and if it crashes (or closes) then to start the B4J app automatically, and email any issues.

Remote Monitoring
Remote server to monitor the VPS is still running, and if it detects it has stopped to then email me it has lost comms to the server.

Of course the remote monitoring will detect if the B4J app has stopped working since it can't connect to the B4J app, but hoping the local monitoring will detect the app has stopped locally and then run the app again if it had stopped.

Anyone else monitoring there B4J apps / VPS servers and are able to point out what they are using ?

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4j app is jserver based ? ( if yes, you can control if app is running testing URL reachability (as url/test on jRDC2 example))

Upvote 0

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4j app is jserver based ?
Yes, I am using jServer in my app.

Problem is I want to be notified as soon as my server or B4J app crashes, and not wait for someone to try and view the page.

I need my server to be working 24/7 and need to know as soon as it crashes so I can fix it.

Upvote 0

Ed Brown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @aaronk,

Depending on the VPS you might want to look at Tutorial 12 as this will work on Linux servers (it doesn't have to be GCE) and it will ensure that your service is running.

If your app is listening to a Port then you can also periodically connect to the port and provide alerts if the port is not available.

Upvote 0