B4R Question Washing Machine - Get Status

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
I would like to realize a system which shows me the status of some washing machine of a laundry.

In oder terms, I need to show the users which washing machine is currently free, and also show for the busy machines the elapsed time until the end of the washing program.

Are there washing machine that are capable to connect via Lan in Internet, and share such data ?

Alternatively, which technology would you suggest ?

I guess B4R and Arduino could be the right tool, but how to include a washing machine in the whole picture ?

Thanks in advance for your attention,
Sergio

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
We have not yet decided which washing machine model to consider, but I guess yes, a LED would be on. But this alone does not tell us how much time the wash machine needs to end a wash program.
We could also use a power-consumption device to reveal if the machine is running (high power consuming) or in idle (low power consuming).
But again, we don't get any info about the required time needed to finish a program.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I guess this is the main issue with "common user" IoT devices... The current appliances are not easily connectable and the ones that "are" use some brand specific protocol, not easily implemented and also not free...
LoRA promised to chance this... but I guess it will take a while...
As a side note, several appliances use the CAN protocol created by Phillips... It's a well documented one... But those appliances are not easily found... But then again, a laundry does not use "common" washing machines

Last edited:
Upvote 0

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Siemens make Smart WiFi enabled industrial washing machines that I believe does exactly what you are looking for...
Problem is, - as the user Cableguy already pointed - they don't publish any API to develop with, but only a proprietary App which can connect to the machines.

I need a framework in order to develop something useable for more customers of a laundry, I don't need even a fine control of the machines

Upvote 0