B4J Question Web API Template v.1.13 rules

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, All and @aeric

Thanks for new version of the API code.
And how to use the new code structure now for custom DB structure ?

What files are to be edited excepting .ini-files ?
Files\*.html also ?
For each parameter (that should have a separate table in DB) the separate handler is needed ?

What more ?

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
And how to use the new code structure now for custom DB structure ?

In version prior to v1.13, the URL format is like:
/v1/category/:cid/product/: pid
It was initially a response to a member question that I made it that way.

Then I thought it is making more sense for general usage with the new structure (omitting the category id since the product id is already sufficient to refer to a particular record). Thus, in the new version, the format is just like this:
/v1/product/: pid

The DB structure has not changed.
What changed are the SQL commands to pass only the product id as parameter instead of both product and category ids.
The SQL command keys also changed due to the same reason and instead I call it ADD_XXX now renamed as INSERT_XXX. Nothing special about this changes.

custom DB structure
In this template, I demonstrated how we can build an API Server with 2 tables where a category table can be use to populate to a dropdown list or combo.
You can modify the commands inside queries-sqlite.ini file with your table structure or schema.

If you don't like to use this setting file approach, you can also choose to create the db from the code module or class in B4X. I plan to use ORM class in my version 2. You can also pre-design your db using tools like SQLite DB Browser, Heidi, PhpMyAdmin, Adminer, SQL Server Management Studio, etc.

What files are to be edited excepting .ini-files ?
Files\*.html also ?
Inside the Objects folder, the only files need to be modified are INI files.
However, you will also find a www folder inside. Inside this folder, you will see an assets folder. Inside this assets folder, you will find css, img, js and webfonts. This folders will be set as public accessible in Main module.
B4X:
srvr.StaticFilesFolder = File.Combine(File.DirApp, "www")
You may need to add more css or js files if you think required.
For example you want to change from Bootstrap to other Front-ends such as VueJS or MaterialCSS.
Inside the js folder, I have put webapisearch.js and this js is responsible for the search and CRUD functions of index page.

Open the Files folder and you will see 3 html files. You will see at the bottom where the js files are included.
HTML:
  </footer>
  <script src="$ROOT_URL$/assets/js/jquery.min.js"></script>
  <script src="$ROOT_URL$/assets/js/jquery.validate.min.js"></script>
  <script src="$ROOT_URL$/assets/js/bootstrap.bundle.min.js"></script>
  <script src="$ROOT_URL$/assets/js/webapisearch.js"></script>
@DOCSCRIPT@
</body>
</html>
In version 1.13, jquery.validate.min.js is added as this is how I validate the Bootstrap modal form.

You may need take time to study these 3 HTML files but I have make this files very minimalist and easy to understand (hopefully).
main.html => the basic structure or master page
index.html => the home page with search and new CRUD functions. So, in version 1.13, you will see added new lines marked with
<!-- Modal -->
help.html => the template with "collapsible" css class for generating the help file. The actual template is inside HelpHandler class under GenerateResponseScript sub.
The magic of auto generating the REST verbs is inside ReadProjectFile sub.

The API logic are written in B4X code modules and handler classes.

For each parameter (that should have a separate table in DB) the separate handler is needed ?
B4J Server utilize Server handler/class which you can think like a Controller class in MVC and the routing is set in Main module.

B4X:
srvr.AddHandler(ROOT_PATH & "topic/*", "DefaultHandler", False)
srvr.AddHandler(ROOT_PATH & "category/*", "CategoryHandler", False)
srvr.AddHandler(ROOT_PATH & "product/*", "ProductHandler", False)
srvr.AddHandler(ROOT_PATH & "find/*", "FindHandler", False)
You can have as many handler as you like. How you manage the handler class will determine how organize your code will be. Like in MVC, usually we use Controller with common name as the Model.

There is no rules.

In my template, I can follow the conventions. The URL like "category/*" maps to the CategoryHandler.
I purposely add a DefaultHandler, which mapped by the path "topic/*". This show, we can use whatever name we like.
in previous version, this is the case:
B4X:
srvr.AddHandler(ROOT_PATH & "category/*", "ProductHandler", False)
Both category and product business logic and model were handled in a single handler class name ProductHandler.
I believe we can map 2 or more paths to the same handler class but isn't this unorganized and make the single file so big and difficult to read or maintain?

Don' forget, sometimes we work with joining multiple tables. This is demonstrated in FindHandler.
Not exactly. The SQL commands are actually loaded from the INI file. But what I want to say is, there is no rules saying that a handler must be use for only one db table. However it is a good practice to separate a "Model" into it's own handler. Just make your Handler name more meaningful.

Futhermore, the DefaultHandler is not bind to any database table or model.
It just a very simple "Hello World" handler.

What more ?
There are too many things I may not able to share in one post. Just ask if you have any further question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Before anyone find out and complain, I want to admit that I have left the dropdownlist for category harcoded in index.html.

HTML:
<select id="category" name="cat_id" class="form-control" required>
    <option value="" disabled>Select Category</option>
    <option value="1">Hardwares</option>
    <option value="2">Toys</option>
</select>

There are ways to dynamically generate the items.
One way is to:
Create a new API to retrieve the IDs and Names of the category then use javaScript to inject the HTML into the id.
I leave this to you.

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for explanations, i guess, this topic is useful for community to use your big code.

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I believe we can map 2 or more paths to the same handler class but isn't this unorganized and make the single file so big and difficult to read or maintain?
This will change in Web API 2.0 where I will map 2 paths to the same handler. Only add a single sub so won't make a significant bloat to the same handler.

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Now i think that latest programming world of client-server programming should be set up such way:
1) initially the DB structure is created, updated several times as the source and ...
2) ... and loaded into the generator that generates the code template of a server and client apps (including the API) that ... are ready to make CRUD with the prepared data structure...
3) separate linked design (CSS) files may help to update the interface

So, the key is ... some standardized DB structure that can be automated in usage by the code.
If to think - any operations in DB are always the same CRUD, and variants can be only in some data analysis where always used JOINs, GROUPping and UNIONs of data.

But is that possible ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Now i think that latest programming world of client-server programming should be set up such way:
1) initially the DB structure is created, updated several times as the source and ...
2) ... and loaded into the generator that generates the code template of a server and client apps (including the API) that ... are ready to make CRUD with the prepared data structure...
3) separate linked design (CSS) files may help to update the interface

So, the key is ... some standardized DB structure that can be automated in usage by the code.
If to think - any operations in DB are always the same CRUD, and variants can be only in some data analysis where always used JOINs, GROUPping and UNIONs of data.

But is that possible ?
🤔 I don't get it. Something related to "Migration"?

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you referring to Object Relational Mapper (ORM)?

Check:

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't get it
1) We prepare the glossary: users (and their fields), categories (of products and their fields), products (and their fields), orders, sales, addresses, product suppliers....
2) We prepare SQL-requests for CRUDing these objects (actually standardized where just the fields of the tables of p.1 are used).
3) We prepare SQL-requests for reports and analysis: orders list of a user, suppliers of the product, sales of the product....
4) Click "GENERATE server" button and the source code of the server app is created, with handlers, API....
5) Click "GENERATE client" button and the source code of the client app is created, with requests to API....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Before anyone find out and complain, I want to admit that I have left the dropdownlist for category harcoded in index.html.

HTML:
<select id="category" name="cat_id" class="form-control" required>
    <option value="" disabled>Select Category</option>
    <option value="1">Hardwares</option>
    <option value="2">Toys</option>
</select>

There are ways to dynamically generate the items.
One way is to:
Create a new API to retrieve the IDs and Names of the category then use javaScript to inject the HTML into the id.
I leave this to you.
In version 1.14, the dropdown list is dynamically generated.

Upvote 0