Web Development

cklester

Licensed User
That would be a great idea. I would love to start developing using some of the web tools being built by B4J users. I used Laravel for a while and would love to find a replacement.

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What exact topics for the web-development based on B4X tools can be posted immediately, if such category is created ?
Links to ABMaterial ?

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What exact topics for the web-development based on B4X tools can be posted immediately, if such category is created ?
Links to ABMaterial ?
ABM is one of the topics.
Front end libraries like BVAD3 and Sithaso Daisy.
Palantech (Freemarker), Velocity and Thymeleaf template engine libraries
Server, Web app example, Web socket examples
Using Web API as backend
Non Web API as backend
JSON Web Token
Redis, Lettuce, Cache, History
Integrating with other programming language for backend or frontends
Integrating payment gateway or third party API
Low code/No code
There are many more...

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Definitely BANano as it is the B4J to JavaScript/html/CSS transpiler on which all the front end libraries like BDAV3, Sithaso Daisy, etc heavily rely on. It is the core engine that makes such libraries possible.

I'm not against it, but I also kind of understand why there is no separate Web-development sub forum today as after all, most of the things you mention in your list are actually just B4J. Many of the Web Apps that use e.g. jServer use a lot of standard B4J libraries too (like Json, jMQTT, jSQL, jDateUtils, Encryption, JavaObject, etc...). It's up to Erel to decide if it is worth separating them.

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So, "web development" category - is just a list of links to already existing topics of whole this forum. But, IMHO, it's not so easy to decide how to search what you need, if you do not know the exact terms.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Definitely BANano as it is the B4J to JavaScript/html/CSS transpiler on which all the front end libraries like BDAV3, Sithaso Daisy, etc heavily rely on. It is the core engine that makes such libraries possible.

I'm not against it, but I also kind of understand why there is no separate Web-development sub forum today as after all, most of the things you mention in your list are actually just B4J. Many of the Web Apps that use e.g. jServer use a lot of standard B4J libraries too (like Json, jMQTT, jSQL, jDateUtils, Encryption, JavaObject, etc...). It's up to Erel to decide if it is worth separating them.
I agree with you.
My point is similar to Game Development, we also make use of B4X libraries like canvas, timer, image view, etc.
Let say a newbie just join B4X forum, at a quick glance, he/she can see there is Game Development, Web Development, Desktop, Server, Arduino, etc. It gives the impression of what B4X is capable of.

edit: Currently it is not obvious. Unless they have heard of BANano. Sorry to say that many of our frameworks are not popular compare to the mainstream like Vue or React.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So, "web development" category - is just a list of links to already existing topics of whole this forum. But, IMHO, it's not so easy to decide how to search what you need, if you do not know the exact terms.
Not just links.
I wish it would be a place to post related topics in the future.
I understand it would take a lot of work for Erel to move all the old threads. So I think let's just start from scratch. I believe in a short time, it will accumulate a lot of new posts. Even can surpass Game Development.

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If from the scratch - it should be "opposite way posts" - firstly about the web development terms, rules, docs, articles, tasks ... explaning how to make the mentioned subject of Web, but, secondly, by means of the links and B4X codes to be used to reach.
It's the category of structure "one Web term - to many solutions by B4A, B4J, B4i, B4R"...

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If from the scratch - it should be "opposite way posts" - firstly about the web development terms, rules, docs, articles, tasks ... explaning how to make the mentioned subject of Web, but, secondly, with the links and B4X codes to be used to reach.
I don't really get your point. If you see posts for Game Development, it has a "Games" yellow label. Erel just need to add a new subcategory under General and create another label with "Web" with different color. If someone post to wrong forum, forum moderator can move it to the appropriate forum.

The benefit is a single entry point for Web developers focused. This also helps to promote BANano and BVAD3. I for example, don't do Game Development, but want to focus on Web Development related. B4J is too powerful that I think branching a subdivision for Web app is a good idea.

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So I think let's just start from scratch.
I would prefer a move. It is already kind of messy now as some people post the same message in different sub forums to give it more attention. If we get an extra forum for Web, all Web related stuff should be removed from the original place into the new one IMHO. I admit it is a huge task, but I'm a bit afraid if it is not done some will just use it as an extra place to 'advertise' the same message and cause even more confusion.

Also note that there are B4J Web questions, B4J Web tutorials, B4J Web Libraries, B4J Web Creations etc now, each with their specific function. Not sure how to organize these if they are all in one sub forum...

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would prefer a move. It is already kind of messy now as some people post the same message in different sub forums to give it more attention. If we get an extra forum for Web, all Web related stuff should be removed from the original place into the new one IMHO. I admit it is a huge task, but I'm a bit afraid if it is not done some will just use it as an extra place to 'advertise' the same message and cause even more confusion.

Also note that there are B4J Web questions, B4J Web tutorials, B4J Web Libraries, B4J Web Creations etc now, each with their specific function. Not sure how to organize these if they are all in one sub forum...
Me too, should be one place.
Currently, for Web app, it is recommended to prefix with [server], [bvad], [banano], etc. I prefer just use [web] tag.

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I prefer just use [web] tag
As a library developer, I really don't. It is very handy every morning for me to search for [BANano] or [ABMaterial] in the forum to see if there are any questions specific about my libraries and ignore other tags. Having to go through all of them just to see if a question is related to me or not would be exhausting.