Android Question Weekly countdown timer

Almora

Licensed User
Hello. I am using this code.

2018 01 14 21:30
I calculated the remaining time.

how to count down every week at 21:30 hours.

B4X:
EditText1.Text=2018  'years
EditText2.Text=1     ' months
EditText3.Text=14     'days
EditText4.Text=21      'hours
EditText5.Text=30       'minutes

Timer1.Initialize("Timer1", 1000)
    Timer1.Enabled = True

target= DateUtils.SetDateAndTime(EditText1.Text,EditText2.Text,EditText3.Text,EditText4.Text,EditText5.Text,00)

Sub Timer1_Tick

periode1 = DateUtils.PeriodBetween(DateTime.Now,target)
    Label1.Text = periode1.Years & " years " & periode1.Months & " months " & periode1.Days &" days "&CRLF&CRLF & periode1.Hours &" hours "& periode1.Minutes &" minutes "&periode1.Seconds &" seconds"

End Sub

Almora

Licensed User
B4X:
 If periode1.Hours=0  And periode1.Minutes= 0  And periode1.Seconds= 0 Or periode1.Seconds<0 Then

' weekly repeat = ?????

Else
 Label1.Text = periode1.Years & " years " & periode1.Months & " months " & periode1.Days &" days "&CRLF&CRLF & periode1.Hours &" hours "& periode1.Minutes &" minutes "&periode1.Seconds &" seconds"

End If
I tried it but it did not.

Erel

Administrator
Staff member
Licensed User
I'm not sure that I understand the question. Can you post an example of an input and the desired output?

Almora

Licensed User
EditText1.Text=2018 'years
EditText2.Text=1 ' months
EditText3.Text=14 'days
EditText4.Text=21 'hours
EditText5.Text=30 'minutes

01/14 21:30
I calculated the remaining time.
as in the picture..
PicsArt_01-14-10.07.52.jpg

I want to repeat every week when the rest of the time is over.
how do you count down a countdown every week Sunday at 21:30?

every Sunday at 21:30 will repeat the countdown

udg

Expert
Licensed User
every Sunday at 21:30 will repeat the countdown
Do you mean that once you run your app it should show a countdown starting at current time toward the NEXT Sunday at 21:30?
Or is it an ever running display that resets itself each Sunday at 21:30 to update the countdown for next occurence?

Another option: is it kind of an alarm? The user sets day and time and your app shows a countdown.
If you close it and then start it again you would like to see the running countdown.
Anyway a service will check on countdown reaching its end and reset everything for next schedule?
If this is the case there are a few examples on the forum; try seraching for "next schedule" or something like that.

Almora

Licensed User
yes..
Or is it an ever running display that resets itself each Sunday at 21:30 to update the countdown for next occurence?
every Sunday at 21:30 the gray count will reset and start again. This will repeat every Sunday.

It's not an alarm.

Last edited:

Erel

Administrator
Staff member
Licensed User
B4X:
If DateTime.Now > target Then
 Dim p As Period
 p.Days = 7
 target = DateUtils.AddPeriod(p)
End If

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Since @Erel was quicker than me..here it is a function to find the next day-of-week from the specified date. Could be useful sooner or later..
B4X:
'Returns next DayOfWeek from date t1
Sub NextDow(t1 As Long, dow As Int) As Long
   Dim ddow As Int = DateTime.GetDayOfWeek(t1) '1=sun, 2 = mon,..
   Dim p1 As Period
   p1.Initialize
   p1.Days=1
   Do While ddow <> dow Then
       t1 = DateUtils.AddPeriod(t1,p1)
       ddow = DateTime.GetDayOfWeek(t1)
   Loop
   Return t1
End Sub

'call as
DateTime.DateFormat="dd/MM/yyyy"                   'set to what you need, but recall to save current one
Dim t1 As Long = DateTime.DateParse("12/01/2018")  'set this according to DateFormat above
Dim t2 As Long = NextDow(t1,1)                     'look for next Sunday; change 1 to 2 for Monday and so on
Log(DateTime.Date(t2))
ps: code not tested nor optimized; just a quick note/starting point to keep in case it will be ever needed

Almora

Licensed User
B4X:
If DateTime.Now > target Then
 Dim p As Period
 p.Days = 7
End If

B4X:
---------------------------------------------

'    EditText1.Text= DateTime.GetYear(DateTime.Now)
    EditText1.Text= 2018

'    EditText2.Text= DateTime.GetMonth(DateTime.Now)
    EditText2.Text= 2

'    EditText3.Text= DateTime.GetDayOfMonth(DateTime.Now)
    EditText3.Text= 5

'    EditText4.Text= DateTime.GetHour(DateTime.Now)
    EditText4.Text= 13

'    EditText5.Text= DateTime.GetMinute(DateTime.Now)
    EditText5.Text= 00

target= DateUtils.SetDateAndTime(EditText1.Text,EditText2.Text,EditText3.Text,EditText4.Text,EditText5.Text,00)

If DateTime.Now>target Then
    periode1.Days=7
    target=DateUtils.AddPeriod(target,periode1)
        DateUtils.TicksToString(target)
    End If

--------------------------------------

periode1 = DateUtils.PeriodBetween(DateTime.Now,target)

Label4.Text = periode1.Years & " Years - " & periode1.Months & " Months - " & periode1.Days &" Days - "&CRLF&CRLF & periode1.Hours &" Hours - "& periode1.Minutes &" Minutes - "&periode1.Seconds &" Seconds "

I am using this code. the code is not working properly after two weeks. Date: 2018 02 05 13:00 is counting down until one week's completion. A week later, the countdown is reset to 2018 02 12 13:00 and is okay. Again a week later, he counts down to 2018 02 19 13:00. but he is not counting down next week. there is an error. Thank you

Erel

Administrator
Staff member
Licensed User
I'm not sure that I fully understand. However you should improve the code I posted with:
B4X:
Do While DateTime.Now > target Then
 Dim p As Period
 p.Days = 7
Loop
This way it will handle cases where the target is several weeks behind.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Shouldn't it be
B4X:
Do While DateTime.Now >= target Then ..
in order to work in that rare case when the code is executed exactly at the time set as the target?
Reading post #9 it seems to me that he could have a countdown to zero while next target won't be set to next week due to above reason.

Erel

Administrator
Staff member
Licensed User
The time instances resolution is milliseconds it is very unlikely that they will be equal. It should be 'greater or equal' though this is not the cause of any issue.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
I agree. They say "Luck is blind while bad luck has got excellent sight" (or something similar), so accounting for that "bad" millisecond.. :)

Last edited:

Almora

Licensed User
B4X:
Do While DateTime.Now >= target Then
 Dim p As Period
 p.Days = 7
Loop
This way it will handle cases where the
B4X:
periode1.Minutes=1
I try and look good. I tried minutes instead of weeks. the next minute there was no problem.