What do you think of this top 20 development language list?

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Good morning B4X developers,
I receive a lot of these top 10/20 ect development language list in my Google news feed, but this one appears to be completely out of touch with other lists that I've seen lately.

So I was wondering what your thoughts are about about this particular list, I found it quite interesting as this is the only list that I've seen where VB.Net is actually in the list (top 10), err actually classic VB is also in the list (top 20).

But I really find this list out of touch because Python is not first or even second. Python is third in this list when all other list and charts that appears have Python first or second but NOT third.

And also what is Go programming language?

It would be good to know how all these firms gather their data for these lists...

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But if you take into account that there are in total more than 50 million projects "written" in Scratch and each month 1 million new Scratch projects are added, ..
It is important to note that the TIOBE index is not about the best programming language or the language in which most lines of code have been written.
So, the number of projects/lines of code is part of the rating or not?
Anyway, as Erel noted, WE are at position #118..just for starting
Erel Uziel suggested to add the programming language B4X to the index. B4X meets all criteria, so it has been added. B4X debuts at position #118.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, so during this long lockdown we just need to do some googling for "B4X Programming" to climb the list.. :)

Do you think that a robot that initiates hundreds of searches is considered cheating? I mean, a robot written using B4x.. eheheh

Last edited:

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X deserves to be on any development tools list...

@Erel when I say development tools list, it's on my own tools list on my website (actually it's on two of my websites). Hmm, I need to change my portfolio page.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Good morning B4X developers,
I receive a lot of these top 10/20 ect development language list in my Google news feed, but this one appears to be completely out of touch with other lists that I've seen lately.

So I was wondering what your thoughts are about about this particular list, I found it quite interesting as this is the only list that I've seen where VB.Net is actually in the list (top 10), err actually classic VB is also in the list (top 20).

But I really find this list out of touch because Python is not first or even second. Python is third in this list when all other list and charts that appears have Python first or second but NOT third.

And also what is Go programming language?

It would be good to know how all these firms gather their data for these lists...

Go Language is an open source language created by google for its servers.
They write miles of code that must run distributed on many servers. So they were looking for a language that would reduce the writing of the code (less kilometers) be quick to compile and scale for the machines and above all that would manage the concurrent execution of the routines and the optimization of the code.

Several companies I have seen use it. Why cheap and fast and a syntax very similar to C

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Several companies I have seen use it. Why cheap and fast and a syntax very similar to C
Thank you for responding Salvatore.
After you said it was open source and created by Google, I did a quick search and jumped onto the website. On the landing page there is a box that allows for some basic text code to be entered. After a couple of attempts I got the following code example to work without searching on the web for anything.

Surprisingly it appears that you can use 'Go' with or without the line terminator character ;
B4X:
func main() {
    fmt.Println(SumIt(2, 4));
    Message("B4X rocks...")
}

func SumIt(a int, b int) int {
    var Value int = 7
    Value += a + b
    return Value
}

func Message(Msg string) {
    fmt.Println(Msg)
}

hmm, if i click on your query then google finds 6.350 results.
Exactly the same results here...

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for responding Salvatore.
After you said it was open source and created by Google, I did a quick search and jumped onto the website. On the landing page there is a box that allows for some basic text code to be entered. After a couple of attempts I got the following code example to work without searching on the web for anything.

Surprisingly it appears that you can use 'Go' with or without the line terminator character ;
B4X:
func main() {
    fmt.Println(SumIt(2, 4));
    Message("B4X rocks...")
}

func SumIt(a int, b int) int {
    var Value int = 7
    Value += a + b
    return Value
}

func Message(Msg string) {
    fmt.Println(Msg)
}

Exactly the same results here...
I would like to learn it and use it as a second language after B4X (let's not get angry @Erel šŸ˜ )

Winni

Licensed User
Longtime User

That's by design; the semicolon will implicitly be added by the compiler, so you don't have to add it yourself. Most of the time the semicolon doesn't help with readability, it's just additional line noise, and the parser can also tell from a line break that there should be a semicolon.

My brain isn't really wired for Go, or at least it isn't wired to be an actual fan of the language. The longer I played with Go, the weirder I found it and I also found it less and less consistent. I know that Rob Pike and Ken Thompson will have something to different to say, and they are brilliant engineers that I respect __A LOT__, but eventually I didn't find Go as attractive as I should have. Also: It's only a back-end language, not a real multi-purpose language. They never thought about front-end or desktop applications or other client-side stuff when they designed and implemented Go. There are no official GUI modules for it. It's what nowadays is called "dev ops" or "microservices" language. That's fine, and there is a place for that. It's just too small a niche for me to invest in; at the research institute where I work, I'm better off investing in Python, because the scientists use it, too and Python is a language that most researchers around the world use. Nobody uses Go, not even the IT folks at other related institutes.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I remember that turbo pascal also didn't need it on the last line in functions/sub or whatever they were called or the main routine.

same goes for modern languages like php/javascript.

but overall is indeed unique and good for those who tend to forget the semicolons.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Semicolons (line terminator) was a pain in the rear end for me when I was learning C# a few years ago @Winni & @sorex, so was using curly braces/brackets { }.

As I develop programs in VS, to me C# itself (in my personal opinion) was quite easy to learn as C# has plenty in common with VB. At first things like looping, calculating, converting strings/textbox numbers too numbers before calculate, using the operators etc does takes somes getting use too. The controls are the same though so took no extra learning needed there.

But ; and { } are just a complete pain for me. After working in either B4X or VB.Net, when I go back to C# I sometimes forget to add them lol :eek:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Python is also a weird one.

It's based on indents so a leading space too much/less will break your code :)

Cadenzo

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't understand this list. Is SQL really a programming language? You can use it in a language, but you can not develop things with SQL. If it counts as programming language, where are the languages html, CSS, regex and so on?