What do you think of this top 20 development language list?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you have queries and transact sql/stored procedures which acts like a programming language and you can do several queries or other things in one 'sub routine'.

ok, you don't build a real app with it but it's database programming language.

html/css is web maybe they left that out of this category?

regex is more like a feature in a programming language.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you have queries and transact sql/stored procedures which acts like a programming language and you can do several queries or other things in one 'sub routine'.

ok, you don't build a real app with it but it's database programming language.

html/css is web maybe they left that out of this category?

regex is more like a feature in a programming language.
I use SQL stored procedure to call web API and update MSSQL database in my work.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Github doesn't know what is B4X language. I have 2 projects which are detected as VB and VBA.

1586867108014.png

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Python is also a weird one.
It's strange you should mention Python Sorex.
Because Python is apparently number 1 on the planet right now for developing on, I decided to looked more closely at it a few months ago. It's seems to have been created for extreme simplicity, even loops don't look like full loops to me, but they are clearly loops. If my memory serves me correctly, you can create a basic but fully working print loop in Python with just 2 lines of code, or a slightly more complicated loop in just 3 lines of code. It's actually an interesting language, but what are developers supposed to do with all these separate languages. I know there are developers on this forum that know and are proficient in 4, 5, 6 development languages, but where is one supposed to stop. If you look at the industry as a whole, it's just one language after another after another after another etc etc etc and plenty of them actually do the exact same things on the same OS. I personally can't keep up with all these different languages and I don't wish to so so either. That's one reason why I really do like B4X, it's basically one language fits all. As I've said previously, Anywhere software does all the hard work so I don't have too, cheers šŸ‘

I've developed lots of bespoke software for clients over the years, because I've always been self employed I always stuck with what I knew best, in my case that was VB.Net and I've never ever had any clients complain about the end results with it.

A few years ago I could see that M$ was trying to dim down/phase out VB.Net. For example you can use VS to create Android and iOS apps, but only using C# and not VB. It was a sad sad sad day for developers when they learned that there was no support for that in VS, so hopefully plenty of those developers have came over to b4x.com for their VB.Net like experience but supercharged because of the IDE, technical support and forum here. I personally learned C# because I wanted to learn another language. I first looked at learning C++, but I then settled on C#, just because I already had a C# book that I could read in my spare time on the sofa or in bed.

I really do enjoy developing using the B4X suite of development tools from Anywhere software. As you can probably tell, lately I've been playing about and learning B4i just for the fun of it. I'm thinking about rehashing an old tutorial that is already on the forum but adding a twist to it. I can't say what it is, but if I can find the graphics that I want for it, I'll created an updated cross platform tutorial and I'll release a rehashed tutorial in the near future, this may also include B4J too. See what I mean, B4X is a great one language fits all multi-platform solution that saves me time, energy and money, and the learning curve is not too steep for new developers to this great forum either.

I don't understand this list. Is SQL really a programming language?
Structured Query Language, it's all in the last word. SQL is a domain-specific language used in programming and designed for managing data held in a relational database management system.

Yes it's a language, but you are looking at the phrase 'Programming Language' from a slightly narrow view.

Just because you can't actually create a visually pleasing application for an OS using SQL, does not mean that it's not an Programming Language. I can see what you are trying to say but widen your horizon a bit, it's a fully bona fide language ;)

I use SQL stored procedure to call web API and update MSSQL database in my work.
I personally mainly use Stored Procedures only when I know that I will need to process a good amount of data for results in chart over a long period of time. Using a SP can be the difference between processing chart data on a desktop or mobile application in 20 to 30 seconds or 1 to 2 seconds via a well written SP on my server. My MySQL database solutions on my online server usually utilise temp memory tables, triggers for INSERT or UPDATE statements and also Indexing. The Samsung SSDs in my server are configured in a RAID 1 configuration. I originally got my hosting firm to setup a RAID 0 configuration. But to tell you the truth, even though I have backups running 24/7 I still needed more redundancy. So after a year I got a new server setup in a RAID 1 configuration and I got my hosting firm to transfer all the data over for me.

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
yeah, I know what you're saying.

some could be task related.

for example

desktop apps: VS, B4J
desktop scripts: BATch, VBScript, PowerShell, Python

you can make GUI apps with Python aswell but most people stick to their desktop app environment for that I guess.
you can call the python scripts in the background with B4J without problem.

you should check out the rosetta site for some nice examples of standard routine in a lot of languages.
you'll be stunned what cr*p there is and how on earth you would work with that :)
check out Fish for example.