Whats the future of B4A?

netchicken

Licensed User
Longtime User
I set out to learn Android a few weeks back and despite having good VB.net and some C# skills I was blown away by the complexity of Java and the minutiae of work it entailed. Visual Studio it is not! (It took me over 100 pages of the instruction manual before i got a form, button, text box and label running. )

Then I found B4A .....

I am amazed that such a simple program exists, after just looking at the first lesson, which felt like putting comfortable clothes on after Java, I think its something I really want to get into, and to use with my students.

However I am somewhat perplexed by the informality of the program and users and wonder if its just a flash in the pan, or is it around for the long term.

Is B4A being developed further?
Is it keeping up with new Android releases?
Can it do the 'more advanced' stuff Java can do (here i am guessing, but I want to work with google maps, databases, web browsers, etc. )

Can Apps be sold in the apps market? Can users install them just the same?

Is it being optimized for the latest cellphones (I bought a Galaxy S2 to learn how to program, as I think its the future)

Is there a team behind the scenes developing it, rather than some people who might move on to more interesting challenges in the future?

I am really asking if its as good as it looks, because it looks amazingly good!

Finally, as a foil to all the good things.
What do users DISLIKE about B4A?
Whats its downside?
Whats it lacking?
Whats annoying?

Sorry is this sounds pushy as a newbie, but I am looking forward to jumping in and making programs, just need some reassurance over it.

Oh, and can I buy a site wide license of it for a school?

Last edited:

dagnabitboy

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would suggest you spend some time reading the forums and the documentation. All of your questions would be answered. You would see that there are frequent updates, and you would see the wide variety of things user are programming, and you would learn much more about the capability of B4A.

I personally thing B4A is great. There are examples for just about everything. Some take a bit of work to figure out, but it's all here, and the community of users are quick to provide answers!

I suggest you buy a copy and jump in!

Upvote 0

WizardOz

Licensed User
Longtime User
There are always things that could be better, faster and easier in b4a, as there is in every program avaible for the android-developers.
But whats great about b4a, is the drive, the passion and the comitment the developer and "power"users have. Being an "oldtimer" from the amiga-days, I found myself at home instantly. The forum may have grown to a really big beast, but its a beast of knowledge!

There seams to be a workaround for most of the problems, and if there isnt, the developer puts it on his list. Even, java-libraries for the android can be used inside b4a, I havent tried it myself, but after reading the forums I have no worries if I should have to be using one of them.

A friend of mine said that b4a is still a "young" program, and there are bugs, and quirks. But the same person is programing in elipse for the android, and sais some of b4a problems also are inside elipse-development. This mostly is the android-os "fault" he says.

So, buy yourself a copy, travel the forums, download the examples (you really need to buy yourself a copy first, so all things will be avaible). If your short on money, start using b4a for the "demo"-time and get a feeling of the usage. You won't regret it. :sign0089:

Upvote 0

rbsoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
Netchicken - Most of your answers can be answered with a clear YES. To some about the future of B4A of course only Erel can provide Information.

I am really asking if its as good as it looks, because it looks amazingly good!
Yes - it really is as good as it looks! I am using it just for a few weeks, but I am thrilled every day.

Whats its downside?
Whats it lacking?
Whats annoying?

I am still trying to find out...

Rolf

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
As written above, B4A is continuously being developed.
It already supports almost all of Android advanced features.
Applications developed with Basic4android are exactly the same as applications created with Eclipse / Java and can be uploaded to the market.

See this page for a list of advantages: Android Development Tool - Basic4android

Oh, and can I buy a site wide license of it for a school?
Yes, please contact [email protected] for an academic site license.

Upvote 0

Kamac

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is B4A being developed further?

Yes :)

Is it keeping up with new Android releases?

Yes.

Can it do the 'more advanced' stuff Java can do (here i am guessing, but I want to work with google maps, databases, web browsers, etc. )

Yes and if not, you can give idea for someone who makes great add-on (free) libraries, ex.: Agraham or Erel.

Can Apps be sold in the apps market? Can users install them just the same?

It's just like you'd use Easy, but same effective as Java language, without need to use XML. Yes.

Is it being optimized for the latest cellphones (I bought a Galaxy S2 to learn how to program, as I think its the future)

You cannot 'optimize' PC program, you must do it in your code. You can create apps on every possible screen (HVGA, QHVGA, QVGA - i mean, all).

Is there a team behind the scenes developing it, rather than some people who might move on to more interesting challenges in the future?

I am unsure about if it's just Erel or someone else. But that's not bad. Look how did Basic4PPC (windows mobile) last. It's dead just because windows mobile does - it's not Erel stopped developing it, but window mobile stopped being developed and went outdated.

Whats its downside?
Whats it lacking?
Whats annoying?

obama_nope.jpg

all cool :)

@EDIT

Aw. Erel was first :(

Upvote 0

timwil

Licensed User
Longtime User
I purchased a couple months ago and it is exactly what I have been looking for.

If this is not updated any more it would STILL have been worth it!

Upvote 0

Brad

Licensed User
Longtime User
I also came from a vb/vb.net, yada yada background. When I decided to get into programming for the android platform this dev system wasn't available.. I believe I remember seeing a post that Erel was planning on or was in the process of writing b4a. It was from a google search so I'm not sure where I saw it. I checked out every other dev platform and they pretty much sucked so I sat down and taught myself Java. That was one torturous journey, kinda reminded me of my ex-wife :D

Anyways, I was able to write one app for a good sized company and a couple of other beta apps with Java before b4a out. Since then my eclipse has been collecting electron dust and my java books are stuffed somewhere in a dark closet though I might be pulling them out to work on a library.

All I can say is you won't be disappointed.. :)

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Bar none - this is the best $100.00 I have ever spent on ANY software at any time. I have spent much more for far less.
Buy it now. You owe your students a fresh uncomplicated approach to Android development - THAT WORKS! They will thank you for it.

Upvote 0

admac231

Licensed User
Longtime User
I know personally I would have been thrilled at the prospect of developing for Android back in school and b4a ensures a blissfully easy route into it.

I've yet to have any issues with it and yet to find a problem that couldn't be solved. In addition, if you have a look at this forum you will see the support is outstanding, both from Erel and normal users alike.

Upvote 0

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think anyone could go wrong with B4A as an Android development tool. I don't know Erel personally, but I've looked around this forum enough to know that he is very passionate about B4A and is always coming up with new extras to make it even better. I have no worries that B4A is going anywhere or will be left in the dust, unless of course Android OS goes away which I very much doubt.

I think the price is very reasonable and the software is top quality. One of the smoothest running and most reliable pieces of software I've ever used. Any glitches I've experienced have been attributed to components of the Android SDK (AVDs, DDMS, etc) and nothing directly with B4A. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, and the support here on this forum is outstanding!

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think anyone could go wrong with B4A as an Android development tool. I don't know Erel personally, but I've looked around this forum enough to know that he is very passionate about B4A and is always coming up with new extras to make it even better. I have no worries that B4A is going anywhere or will be left in the dust, unless of course Android OS goes away which I very much doubt.

I think the price is very reasonable and the software is top quality. One of the smoothest running and most reliable pieces of software I've ever used. Any glitches I've experienced have been attributed to components of the Android SDK (AVDs, DDMS, etc) and nothing directly with B4A. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, and the support here on this forum is outstanding!
I completely agree with Kevin. Also from what I have gathered from Erel is that he is always there to help (without any financial motivations at all). He delivers what his customers ask for, and he is VERY good at what he does. I suggest picking up a piece of code from him and its is almost impossible to get it better. When I write code, I usually see it getting morphed into one his examples because he does things the right way!
The software itself is so light weight (I trialed it on my 9 year old Thinkpad T22 - Pentium 3, 512MB RAM - and it worked fast, Eclipse was slow and the emulator was worse).
And also do not underestimate the support from the forum community. People are very helpful and quick to post examples. You can see discussions with people having similar problems. Everything is professional and technical. Have learnt alot from here.

Upvote 0

rbsoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
Very professional indeed! For a development system this young it's capabilities and comfort are awesome.

Rolf

Upvote 0

Mikie

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have been using b4a for about 3 weeks. It is great. I was an AI user until it went belly up. My first question to Erel was is b4a as powerfull as AI and Erel said it was much more powerfull. Guess what he is right. For $100 you can't get hurt.

Upvote 0

bergapappa

Licensed User
Longtime User
What about gaming

Very interresting thread.
Been trying Corona and fondd it very eas and nice, espessially for game devs.
But it seems to young when it comes to Android and it does not seem to prduce native code for android, just for ios.
The fnny thin with my experience with Corona was that I all of the sudden wanted to do games because of the easy physics engine they have.
I was first only thinking on developing non-games.
Corona is very nice and have a nice lot of helpfull people, but it is way to yound.

So I think Im buying basic for androd any day now.

One question though.
What about the physics, is there an physics engine and is it as easy to use as the rest?

TNX for your answers in advance!

Upvote 0

Brad

Licensed User
Longtime User
Very interresting thread.
Been trying Corona and fondd it very eas and nice, espessially for game devs.
But it seems to young when it comes to Android and it does not seem to prduce native code for android, just for ios.
The fnny thin with my experience with Corona was that I all of the sudden wanted to do games because of the easy physics engine they have.
I was first only thinking on developing non-games.
Corona is very nice and have a nice lot of helpfull people, but it is way to yound.

I had the same thought when I looked at Corona. I didn't care for it and wished that Erel would come out with one..HINT HINT :D I would pay more then what I paid for b4a..well, I would have paid more for b4a then what I did. :D

Upvote 0

margret

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4A For Android Development

I have now been using B4A for just a little over four weeks. It is AWSOME to say the least! The code is clean, small and very fast. Yes, there are things I would like to see added but, I was looking for things just a few weeks ago and now they are in the current version!! Erel and the whole community is GREAT and very helpful. So far, I have written almost four complete APPS, very polished. Almost an APP a week and about four and a half weeks ago I had never heard of B4A. It's the one I will be using and supporting. I think it's the BEST!!!:D

Thanks Erel and all others who have made this tool, I believe #1 for Android Developers!

Margret;)

Upvote 0

netchicken

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the great replies, I have bought the program and now am looking forward to getting into it :)

Upvote 0