Android Question When does GPS fail?

Mark Read

Licensed User
Longtime User
A strange question to ask but here it is: At what altitude will the gps system no longer work? My idea is to send a balloon into space with a smartphone. I have a feeling it will only fail if the phone freezes. What do the experts say?

Many thanks
Mark

John D.

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is not an authoritative answer, but the GPS receiver should work without regard to altitude. As far as temperature goes, it's hard to say. The battery might be affected by temperature more than anything else, but at extremely low temperature, only testing will tell.

http://www.androidpit.com/cold-smartphones

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
Longtime User
I won't actually interact with the phone. I want to send the gps info to a server running sql. If the data connection is lost, I will save the data on a SD card and hope that I get the phone back when it plummets back to earth!

B4A goes into space!!

Upvote 0

John D.

Licensed User
Longtime User
If the phone lands in an area where it can establish a connection, you can get it to report in with its exact location, if it still works. :)

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
Longtime User
Having read a bit in internet about this, as far as I can find:

Standard GPS (not military grade) should work up to about 8 km, then it dies but comes back again when it is lower than 8 km. This should help finding the thing again.

@Erel, thanks for the thought. SMS would also be an option but it would have to be an MMS as I will activate the camera as well.

Upvote 0