Where to start

chacham

From the forum list i did not see a place to ask beginner questions for B4X, just the individual B4i/J/A. I would think there would be a B4X forum with sub-forums: General, Beginners, Compiling for other platforms. Don't you hate it when newbies offer their advice?

I'm looking to code for the Android. Java has a long learning curve, so i was looking for advice about how much java to learn before learning the Android specifically. Not sure why i couldn't find any good guides on something so simple, but i did chance upon this place. Being basic-esque, being one language for android, ios, and the mac, is intriguing. If only to work out the idea. Being free on windows and mac is what got me to download it and be willing to try.

Is it worthwhile to try coding this on windows and the mac (b4j), and then just move it to the android (b4a)? I'm just beginning and am look for good pointers and advice while i trial this software. It looks promising, and i'm hoping its not too good to be true.

Also, is there basic* b4x documentation? Or just tutorials.
* no pun intended.

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
From the forum list i did not see a place to ask beginner questions for B4X, just the individual B4i/J/A. I would think there would be a B4X forum with sub-forums: General, Beginners, Compiling for other platforms. Don't you hate it when newbies offer their advice?

I'm looking to code for the Android. Java has a long learning curve, so i was looking for advice about how much java to learn before learning the Android specifically. Not sure why i couldn't find any good guides on something so simple, but i did chance upon this place. Being basic-esque, being one language for android, ios, and the mac, is intriguing. If only to work out the idea. Being free on windows and mac is what got me to download it and be willing to try.

Is it worthwhile to try coding this on windows and the mac (b4j), and then just move it to the android (b4a)? I'm just beginning and am look for good pointers and advice while i trial this software. It looks promising, and i'm hoping its not too good to be true.

Also, is there basic* b4x documentation? Or just tutorials.
* no pun intended.
We make no distinctions between users because a new B4X user may already have many years experience in programming. Even someone with almost no experience can have a very valid point on a subject or question.
As for the B4X itself... start with Klaus beginers manual... you'll soon find out that every other statement of praise done to B4X was in fact... an understatement

Last edited:

chacham

He make no distinctions between users because a new B4X user may already have many years experience in programming. Even someone with almost no experience can have a very valid point on a subject or question.
As for the B4X itself... start with Klaus begginers manual... you'll soon find out that every other statement of praise done to B4X was in fact... an understatement

I am sorry. I read your comment twice but i do not understand what you are trying to say. I am a programmer with many years experience.

chacham

The B4A Beginner's Guide does not translate very well into B4J. I guessed most of the designer parts, as they are not too hard to find.

So far, i followed the guide to create the form in Scene Builder. Saving and closing the builder shows the .fxml file name in the Designer list. But, generate members does nothing and running it shows a blank form, not the one just created. Is there any beginner guides specifically for B4J?