Who wants a classic game tutorial series?

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm considering writing a series of tutorials and videos on how to use LibGDX and B4A to write classic games for Android.

Games on the list so far:

Space Invaders
Tron Light cycles
PacMan
Asteroids
Arkanoid
Missile command
Pong
Battlezone
Defender

I'll also work on how to integrate these with Google play services for online scoreboards and achievements.

Is there anything else that people would be interested in seeing?

I have a couple of larger game projects I'm working on but I like the idea of some short series I can work on as a side project.

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For the experienced with libgdx: Cool. I played a bit with libgdx and took a look to examples, etc. As a beginner with it, I'm more interested in "basic" moves like creating a tiled map (with Tiled) and more important: How to display it, how to move, center, scroll (when a very wide map is needed) and so on. Same for using sprites. Most examples are hard to understand for beginners.

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
+1 for any game making tutorial!

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
+1
Would it be possible to build the tutorial up piecemeal like corwin42's Material Design tutorials.
Each step teaching a building block onto which we can apply the technique to our own apps? A tutorial built this way should hopefully make those that follow it more proficient and self reliant when it comes to making they're own games built from the technique's learnt in the tutorials.
I personally love to learn and would be very interested in finding out more about game design.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
+ 1
For beginners.
I want to learn game programming using LibGDX

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Edit:
If you pushed Missile command and Defender to top of the list would be great.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I wrote a series of youtube tutorials on building a space invaders game using BlitzBasic a few years back. I introduce elements such as sound and collision detection in each video, is this the sort of structure people would like. As for things like main menus, I will build a menu framework in the first few series, tehn refer back to it when adjusting it for new games. no point showing how to make a "start Game" button every time.
My youtube channel is here: http://www.youtube.com/user/amcadam26?feature=mhee

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
+1