B4J Question Will B4J apps run on ARM-based PC's and Apple Silicon?

Cadillac

Licensed User
My apologies if this is a redundant question, but I've been away from B4J development for a while. I did try searching the forum first.

But as the subject line asks, can B4J Desktop apps run on ARM-based PC's? I know an Intel compiled 32bit *.exe will run on Windows 10 for ARM okay, but does the B4JPackager11 give the option to output a 32bit build? I'm not clear on that.

On the macOS end of things, when Big Sur comes along and Apple's new Silicon (ARM) CPU hardware, will there be any issues?

Or is it just a Java thing in both cases (Windows & macOS) that'll ensure a *.jar files executes regardless of the CPU architecture?

Thank you for taking the time to consider my question.

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
Or is it just a Java thing in both cases (Windows & macOS) that'll ensure a *.jar files executes regardless of the CPU architecture?
this is most likely the answer.

right now you can run b4j apps on Raspberry pi's and those are ARM already. out of the box most likely you there will be some barriers, for example again, on raspberry its not straightforward to run UI apps.

Upvote 0

Cadillac

Licensed User
B4JPackager11 is not too relevant. The reason that it doesn't support 32 bit computers is that OpenJDK 11 is 64 bit.
So I'm guessing the packaged 64bit *.exe won't be compatible with ARM64 and Windows 10? Or is that assumption wrong?

Unfortunately, I don't own any ARM-based computers to test my questions about *.exe or *.jar executables. Not yet, anyway.

But I think the market will soon have more and more ARM hardware options for consumers and businesses. I'm just trying to plan ahead for some new projects I have in mind.

Thank you for your time Erel.

Upvote 0

psdos

Licensed User
Longtime User
So I'm guessing the packaged 64bit *.exe won't be compatible with ARM64 and Windows 10? Or is that assumption wrong?

Unfortunately, I don't own any ARM-based computers to test my questions about *.exe or *.jar executables. Not yet, anyway.

But I think the market will soon have more and more ARM hardware options for consumers and businesses. I'm just trying to plan ahead for some new projects I have in mind.

Thank you for your time Erel.

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro X with Windows 10 ARM64, if anyone want to do any test program...

Upvote 0