Windows Mobile Emulator and Cellular Emulator

IoSonoPiero

Licensed User
Longtime User
To connect the Windows Mobile Emulator with Cellular Emulator,
you simply run from Programs -> "Windows Mobile 6 SDK" -> "Tools" -> "Cellular Emulator".

Note: The very first start, probably your Windows Firewall will alert about a connection, simply click on "Unblock"

cellular_01.jpg

The Cellular Emulator is started. We have to configure something. Look at the window below of the Cellular Emulator, in the bottom-left angle, you see: "DE: COM4" (on your PC the COM port can be different):

cellular_02.jpg

In your Windows Emulator, go to tab "Peripherals" -> "Serial port 0:" field.

cellular_03.jpg

Write "COM" followed by the port number your Cellular Emulator give you. I'll use "4", so I'll write "COM4", without spaces and without quotes.

cellular_04.jpg

Click Ok button.

Go to Cellular Emulator and go to tab "Configuration". Click on Reset button.

cellular_05.jpg

Go to Windows Emulator, "File" menu -> "Reset" -> "Soft".

cellular_06.jpg

A messagebox will ask you if you are sure to softreset the emulator. Click on "Yes".

cellular_07.jpg

After a while, the device emulator will restart and you'll see the signal status, so you are now connected to a fake network. At start, you are on a 2G network.

cellular_08.jpg

You can switch to a 3G network simply going to Cellular Emulator, "Network" tab, and click "Switch to 3G" button. Voilà!

cellular_08a.jpg

Receive a Call on Emulator:
You can emulate a call, simply go to Cellular Emulator, "Call Manager" tab, in section "Call to device" write the phone number that will call the emulator, click the Dial button. Your Windows Emulator will receive a call.

cellular_09.jpg

Make a Call from Emulator:
From my Windows Mobile emulator, please compose a number and then make the call. On Cellular Emulator, you'll see the call in progress in "Call Manager" tab, "Active Calls" section.

cellular_10.jpg

Send SMS to Emulator:
From your Cellular Emulator, go to "SMS" tab, write a short message in "Send to device" section and click the Send button.

cellular_11.jpg

Send SMS from Emulator:
Go to Windows Mobile emulator, write down a message.

cellular_12.jpg

When you send it, on Cellular Emulator, on "SMS" tag, in "Receive from device" section, you'll see the SMS you sent from Windows Mobile emulator.

cellular_13.jpg

Note:
when you need the Cellular Emulator, rember this steps:
  • start the Cellular Emulator
  • start Windows Mobile Emulator
  • answer Yes to the question:
cellular_14.jpg

obviously your COM port can be another one.

Now, on your PC:
If Windows XP, go to ActiveSync, go to "Connection Settings" and check "Allow data connections on device when connected to PC";
If Vista or better, go to Windows Mobile Device Center, "Mobile Device Settings" tab -> "Connection Settings" and check "Allow data connections on device when connected to PC".
Why this? To have more fun, with next tutorial: Configuring data connections using GPRS!

Thanks to:
derez, Erel

TutorialsEnjoy, ghale

Last edited:

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Complimenti ghale!:sign0098:

Sei qui con noi, in modo attivo, da pochi giorni e hai già fatto dei contribuzioni in una maniera incredibile.:icon_clap:

Ciao.

Last edited:

IoSonoPiero

Licensed User
Longtime User
Grazie.
La prossima volta, vi stupirò tutti.
Farò dei bonifici da 1000€ a caso! :cool:

---

Thank you.
Next time, I'll impression all of you!
I'll give random donations of 1000€ each!

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Complimenti ghale!:sign0098:

Sei qui con noi, in modo attivo, da pochi giorni e hai già fatto dei contribuzioni in una maniera incredibile.:icon_clap:

Ciao.

Grazie.
La prossima volta, vi stupirò tutti.
Farò dei bonifici da 1000€ a caso! :cool:

Guys, I like your enthusiasm, and I did like this tutorial, but keep in mind, This is still a part of the "International" forum, so writting in English is mandatory, so ALL of us can understand what is being said...

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Come on..:) It was just some ordinary chit-chat in Italian. If it was something important or something which all users could benefit from, we would of course have written in English.

In any case, there are many threads in the international area (for instance in the Library-section) where English is mixed up with other languages, for instance with German. As long as one doesn't exaggerate, I don't see any harm...

Guys, I like your enthusiasm, and I did like this tutorial, but keep in mind, This is still a part of the "International" forum, so writting in English is mandatory, so ALL of us can understand what is being said...

Ariel_Z

Licensed User
Anyway guys, the important thing here is the very impressive tutorial Ghale had written.

Undoubtedly - a very important contribution to many users who wish to know how to emulate things properly... Thank you very much!
:sign0098:

Last edited:

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree 100%

Anyway guys, the important thing here is the very impressive tutorial Ghale had written.

Undoubtedly - a very important contribution to many users who wish to know how to emulate things properly... Thank you very much!
:sign0098: