Android Question Wireless Bridge stops running application after Windows 8.1 update

jai

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have 2 PCs running Windows 8.1. Both are used with 7" Nexus for app development. I am using B4A ver 3.8.

All was going well until I installed the latest Windows update. The B4A wireless bridge stopped working on both PCs. It would connect to the device but nothing happens when I run under any debug or non-debug mode. I see the device showing "Status Connected" and the B4A log showing "LogCat connected to: B4A-Bridge: asus Nexus 7-". It does not go further than that and does not display the app after its compilation.

First I thought it might be a firewall (Norton) issue, but turning it off did not make any difference. Then, on one of these PCs I rolled back the Windows update. The wireless bridge started to work normally on this PC after using Windows recover to the earlier version. I can't figure out what may be causing the bridge problem.

My problem continues on the other PC on which for some reason Windows refuses to roll back the update, telling me to turn off the firewall and redo. I have gone as far as uninstalling Norton Security Suite but the problem continues. The bridge does not work (same as before) and the Windows will not roll back.

Appreciate any assistance from someone who has had similar experience or familiar with such issues.

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Running WIN 8.1. (all recent updates). No problems at all. B4A isn't even listed as "allowed" in the firewall (don't know why). Works without problems.

Take a look at the Windows-Events. Maybe you can get more informations.

Upvote 0

jai

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel, Nexus 7 does support USB direct connect mode and that is what I am using now. But it would be nice to have the convenient wireless connectivity back that I am so used to.

Klaus, I see Warning messages in the Windows Events (An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk7\DR8 during a paging operation.) when I run in wireless debug mode. I don't know if this event warning is significant in diagnosing the problem or if I need to examine something else. It is strange though that I had the same issue on2 PCs after Windows update in past few days.

Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Jai:Seems that both of your systems got instable. Please do a "repair installation" (see Google for it, all data will be kept) an install ALL recent updates. First do a checkdisk (not quick mode).

For sure not a B4A issue.

Upvote 0

jai

Licensed User
Longtime User
Klaus: You are spot on with your recommendations. The Windows' Repair Installation somehow fixed the problem. I am back using the wifi bridge in debug mode. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Upvote 0