Wish: IDE, Go Back (To Last Position)

CarlM

Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe I'm just being lazy, but a great feature in VB6 IDE is the 'go to last position' option. This allows you to go back to the place you were editing, something I find very useful after a Search. Maybe you want to check on the content of a Sub elsewhere in another module say (using the Go To Sub Declaration option in the B4A IDE), when you have finished looking at that Sub you could then use a 'Go Back To Last Position' to bring you back to where you were before you jumped to the sub.
This would be more useful as you build up the modules that might all call a certain Sub in a code module, and I can easily forget which module I was in before looking there.
Also, the VB6 IDE 'Go Back' option is recursive, in that if you keep clicking 'Go Back' it takes you back to the previous place you were editing from the position the cursor is at at any given time, right up until the last time you saved the project.
I hope this makes sense! Thanks.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is exactly the purpose of these two yellow arrows:
SS-2012-05-17_15.48.25.png

Roger Garstang

Licensed User
Longtime User
Looks like Alt+Left/Right Arrows is available and would work nice.

Alt+Up/Down Arrows would be cool to have column block selection like MS Word and some other apps do too.
This would help renaming/deleting things like:

userLbl1.Text = "Username:"
userLbl1.TextColor = Colors.Black
userLbl1.TextSize = 16
userLbl1.Typeface = Typeface.DEFAULT_BOLD

We can highlight the 1 in the first userLbl1 then hold Alt+down arrow to highlight all the other 1's. Then type a 2 to replace them all with a 2 or hit delete to remove all the 1's.

CarlM

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is exactly the purpose of these two yellow arrows:
SS-2012-05-17_15.48.25.png

OK thanks Erel.
I guess I was being ultra lazy in wanting to go back to the 'exact' position rather than the sub declaration, some subs do get quite large tho.

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK thanks Erel.
I guess I was being ultra lazy in wanting to go back to the 'exact' position rather than the sub declaration, some subs do get quite large tho.

I agree, and this has thrown me off before too. I could be mistaken but I ran into this repeatedly last night and I think what was happening was I would go to a sub from the drop-down, then end up scrolling down to a sub many subs later in the code. Then use the drop-down to go to another sub, then press back. Instead of bringing me to the sub I had scrolled down to, it brings me back to the sub I first "jumped" to with the drop-down. The result is that you are nowhere close to where you previously had been.

Not a complaint about the way it is (because it is handy), just a suggestion for improvement. I agree that it would be nice if it cached the previous line number you were on before you jumped to another sub.

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel, it would be great if Navigate Backwards (Alt+Left) could be mapped to the standard Windows "back" action, so it can be triggered by using the Back button on many mice.

I keep hitting my mouse's Back button (just like I do in my web browser), and I keep expecting it to work. :)