wish: Menus, events notifications

wes58

Licensed User
Longtime User
- I hope that the option for creating Menus will be added soon - since one of the hardware button on android devices is a Menu button I am surprised that this options is still not there.
- Also, I would like to see receiving notifications of events - like incoming phone calls, sms, email, calendar events
- Creating applications to run as "Service"
- Debugging of applications in the IDE, setting breakpoints, seeing variable values etc - that's one the most important thing during development of the applications.

I hope to see those (standard) features before a 2-month upgrade period expires. I don't think that any of my wishes are something unusual. I think that they should be part of the full version of the application, otherwise it is still a paid "Beta" version. I believe that the "2-month" free upgrade period, is at the current stage of this software, much too short. I haven't seen any software that would give only a few months of free upgrade!

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
since one of the hardware button on android devices is a Menu button I am surprised that this options is still not there.
It is! Menus are fully supported. Try Activity.AddMenuItem and Activity.AddMenuItem2

I believe that the "2-month" free upgrade period, is at the current stage of this software, much too short!
Don't be a skinflint then and buy an Enterprise license. The Standard version is really only a "taster" and for the price both of them are bargains IMHO.

wes58

Licensed User
Longtime User
Don't be a skinflint then and buy an Enterprise license. The Standard version is really only a "taster" and for the price both of them are bargains IMHO.

I am not a programmer who makes profit out of development of applications - and that's what word "Enterprise" mean - "Industrious, systematic activity, especially when directed toward profit". It's just my hobby. I just write applications that I need for my own use, and currently I just want to convert to Android an application that I had on Windows Mobile (written in C++). It's hardly a reason to pay +$100 dollars for, isn't it.
I could use MoSync (free) for writing in C++ by they don't have support for databases, SQL yet - and that's one of the main thing in my application and would be much easier to convert than re-writing it in Basic. That's why I decided to try Basic4Android, but calling a standard version a "taster" - that's not really nice of you. You can call it a trial version but not a full version, in my opinion.

Last edited:

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am also a hobby-programmer and for certain hobbies (i.e. you know things which we like, that makes us feel good and happy) we are prepared to spend some money. I love playing the piano and to get better, I take piano-lessons. I play the guitar too and every now and then I buy a new guitar even if I am not in a position to do so (I am not wealthy) but it makes me feel good and happy. That is what a hobby is about. At the end I feel I spend my money well - just like I did when I bought Basic4PPC and now Basic4Android. By the way, my applications are free and I have never requested any donations from the end-users. You see, I am just happy to see that some people found my software useful which I enjoyed programming/creating. That makes me feel good and happy - just like hobbies.

There are free alternatives but if I was you I would go for the enterprise-edition :D

I am not a programmer who makes profit out of development of applications - and that's what word "Enterprise" mean - "Industrious, systematic activity, especially when directed toward profit". It's just my hobby. I just write applications that I need for my own use, and currently I just want to convert to Android an application that I had on Windows Mobile (written in C++). It's hardly a reason to pay +$100 dollars for, isn't it.
I could use MobSync (free) for writing in C++ by they don't have support for databases, SQL yet - and that's one of the main thing in my application and would be much easier to convert than re-writing it in Basic. That's why I decided to try Basic4Android, but calling a standard version a "taster" - that's not really nice of you. You can call it a trial version but not a full version, in my opinion.