iOS Question Apple Configurator 2 - mac needed?

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've seen the recommendations to use Apple Configurator 2, which apparently will make it a lot easier to push a build onto an ios device. But the thing is, I'm using the hosted builder and don't have a mac. Do we know if there's some software for Windows that we can use that provide the same functionality? (*)

This site lists a number of alternatives to AC2, but I don't know enough this to understand if any of them would work for this.

(*) I understand that Apple Configurator 2 provide lots of different features, but I'm only focused on the push-build-to-device feature.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
which apparently will make it a lot easier to push a build onto an ios device
It is easier, not a lot easier. The main incentive for adding support for AC2 was the new restriction in iOS 14.5 which prevented the current OTA method to work with the local builder.

The last time that I've checked for Windows alternatives, I didn't find anything that matched the requirements.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is easier, not a lot easier
Well, I'm often having problems sending builds to my iPhone, forcing me to toggle airplane mode on/off, disconnecting/connecting from the IDE. Sometimes it - seriously - feel like I'm spending more time getting the connection to work than I'm working on the code. And from what I understand, the AC2 way seem to be rock solid, with no issues at all. So it seems to me it's a lot easier. :-/

I saw you announcement post about AC2 a while back, but I couldn't understand if it would require me to use a local build server, or does it still work with the remote builders?

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, I'm often having problems sending builds to my iPhone, forcing me to toggle airplane mode on/off, disconnecting/connecting from the IDE. Sometimes it - seriously - feel like I'm spending more time getting the connection to work than I'm working on the code. And from what I understand, the AC2 way seem to be rock solid, with no issues at all. So it seems to me it's a lot easier. :-/
From my 7 years experience with the OTA installation, it sounds like you are doing something wrong or that the network is unreliable.
It shouldn't be too problematic.
Problems can happen if you make a build while the device is waiting for the previous one to install. Make sure to wait until the app is installed.

AC2 requires a local Mac. The iPhone must be connected to the Mac with a USB cable.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
From my 7 years experience with the OTA installation, it sounds like you are doing something wrong or that the network is unreliable.
Yep, that would be my assumption too. But we've discussed this briefly in another thread, and you said that the connection part of the code was the same as in B4A. And I'm never ever having problems with OTA installations on my Androids. (Same workstation, same network, etc.) And very often with B4i. Hopefully needless to say, but I'm not rage-clicking anything, instead I'm very careful to take things nice and slow with B4i - so I'm not knowingly installing multiple builds at the same time.

Problems can happen if you make a build while the device is waiting for the previous one to install.
I wonder if this could be part of the problem? The android builds install from my workstation, but if I'm using the remote builder for B4i, they are installed from your servers. Could the problem be explained by me having a somewhat shaky connection to your servers? (To my knowledge, my network is top notch, but who knows... :-/ )

AC2 requires a local Mac. The iPhone must be connected to the Mac with a USB cable.
Yes, that part I understand. But can I use AC2 with the remote builders, or is it only possible to use it if I have the local builder installed on the same mac?

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Could the problem be explained by me having a somewhat shaky connection to your servers?
If you have a good internet connection then the connection to the builders should be fine too. These aren't exactly my servers. They are managed by one of the best Mac hosting companies (MacStadium).

But can I use AC2 with the remote builders, or is it only possible to use it if I have the local builder installed on the same mac?
The builder should run locally. Why use the hosted builder if you have a local Mac?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Why use the hosted builder if you have a local Mac?
I don't have a local mac. That's why asked if there's a Windows alternative for AC2.

Way back I used to have a mac with the local builder, but I do like the simplicity of using the remote builders (one less environment to keep updated and happy) so I was wondering if it would be possible to use them and then just get a mac where I installed AC2. Now I know that's not possible, so I suppose I'll bite the bullet and get a mac and install the hoster builder and AC2 on it.

If you have a good internet connection then the connection to the builders should be fine too. These aren't exactly my servers. They are managed by one of the best Mac hosting companies (MacStadium).
I suppose I could rent a mac at MacStadium also, I just gotta find a long enough USB cable so I can connect my iPhone to it.

Upvote 0