Android Question how to bill my app users individually?

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a chatgpt app. customers must pay by the number of words they use (both, promts and results) . They install the same app.
how this can be accomplished? any hint appreciated.
p.s.
Distributing the total usage equally among them is not fair, as some use more the others

Andrew (Digitwell)

Licensed User
Longtime User
Presumably, you know the number of words each user has used?

Have the users buy "credits" (in app purchase) before performing a query. These "credits" are consumed according to the number of words.

The only problem will be that given you don't know the size of the reply, that may use more credits than the user has left.

This is the way quite a few games work.

This works if you want to charge before use.

You can charge after use using in app billing as well, but there is a danger that the user will not pay.

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Presumably, you know the number of words each user has used?

In fact, this is the problem. There's no way to know individual usage (easily). I may charge a flat rate for everyone just for testing, but this is not the right way I believe.

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
how about this.

But that would only calculate sent tokens
Hi Andy,
the whole article is talking about individual user (Me).. but the question is when you have a commercial app with so many users, you don't know who used how many tokens.

Upvote 0

Andrew (Digitwell)

Licensed User
Longtime User
I can see the problem.

Other chat companies charge a monthly subscription with a limit on the number of chats. Perhaps that evens out over a large number of users.

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I can see the problem.

Other chat companies charge a monthly subscription with a limit on the number of chats. Perhaps that evens out over a large number of users.

Yeah, most propubly I will go this way. New York Subway tockets. you pay $3 regardless of your distination or the time you spend in the subway system.
The short distance travellers pay for the longer distance friends . Cheers!

Upvote 0
I don't think it is a good idea to use your own ChatGPT key as a generic key and then (hope) that your customers will pay YOU for what they use.
Best to let the customers apply, use and pay for their own key from/to ChatGPT. Its then simply a matter of adding an edittext to your app in which the customer has to enter his key (and then store it somewhere safe and encrypted).
Make your app a (monthly) subscription app in the Google Play store, if you want to earn money on top of what the users pay to ChatGPT.

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think it is a good idea to use your own ChatGPT key as a generic key and then (hope) that your customers will pay YOU for what they use.
Best to let the customers apply, use and pay for their own key from/to ChatGPT. Its then simply a matter of adding an edittext to your app in which the customer has to enter his key (and then store it somewhere safe and encrypted).
Make your app a (monthly) subscription app in the Google Play store, if you want to earn money on top of what the users pay to ChatGPT.

In this case then I will be or should be out. I may sell them the app for $3.99. or depend on ads and make it free. But to charge a monthly fee for an app while the API Key is theirs and I pay nothing for it, I think it's unfair.

Upvote 0
In this case then I will be or should be out. I may sell them the app for $3.99. or depend on ads and make it free. But to charge a monthly fee for an app while the API Key is theirs and I pay nothing for it, I think it's unfair.
Then what is the added value of your app? You seem to be ignoring the value of your work. What is the difference with the case in which you do use your own generic ChatGPT key and charge a per-usage-based fee (related to ChatGPT's tariffs)? Wouldn't you want to earn some money that way either?

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Then what is the added value of your app? You seem to be ignoring the value of your work. What is the difference with the case in which you do use your own generic ChatGPT key and charge a per-usage-based fee (related to ChatGPT's tariffs)? Wouldn't you want to earn some money that way either?

If I could bill individual users for their indiviual use, then this was the goal, but it seams this is at least too difficult to achieve.
Re: the value of my app, I don't think any app will have any value if not working Duh!! it doesn't work without API Key. and for the rest of the app I think
a nominal fee is ok with me. Costomer will provide their own key and be responsible of billing directly

Upvote 0