iOS Question 32-bit vs. 64-bit / IOS 11 vs. earlier IOS versions

Misterbates

Licensed User
I've just acquired an iPhone 6 and have IOS 11 installed on it. IOS 11 only runs 64-bit apps, so I changed my server build config to 64-bit. It all works and I can compile and debug using the iPhone 6 as a target.

BUT, I still have my iPhone 5 running IOS 10 (I thought I'd keep it for testing different versions) and when I compile for the iPhone 5 / IOS 10 with 64-bit set in the server config I can install B4i-Bridge but the app install fails with "Unable to download App". If I switch back to a 32-bit server config, I can compile and debug using the iPhone 5 as a target.

I'm using B4i 4.40 and the hosted builder. In December, the hosted builder will be upgraded to XCode 9.

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding, or seeing dependencies where there are none, but does that mean that after December I will only be able to develop for IOS 11, which means that I won't be able to target iPhone 5 (only 5s or later)?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I won't be able to target iPhone 5 (only 5s or later)?
No.

1. Xcode 9 still supports 32 bit applications.
2. You will need to switch the option in the IDE (NOT IN THE BUILDER) when you want to debug 32 bit applications.
3. Release apps include both types of binaries so they work on all devices.

Upvote 0