Wish 3D commands ala BlitzBasic

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
I've had - and still have - a lot of fun with a software named Blitz3D - which is free - that allows 2D and 3D game development on a windows o.s.

My wish is to have such simple 3D command set also in the B4X family.

Best Regards,
Sergio

P.S.
Once upon a time, there were the glorious site blitzbasic.com and its vibrant forum, which has been sadly discontinued. However Blitz3D is avaliable on a german forum: https://www.blitzforum.de/

Last edited:

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I loved Blitz3D, I was a big fan and even made some videos on youtube showing how to write simple games with it.
I've love an Android language that was similar, the closest I've got right now is using the libGDX library with B4A, I'm part way through converting a cannnon fodder clone I wrote in Blitz3D to b4A, all good so far, and will release it sometime this year.

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
I loved Blitz3D, I was a big fan and even made some videos on youtube showing how to write simple games with it.
I've love an Android language that was similar, the closest I've got right now is using the libGDX library with B4A, I'm part way through converting a cannnon fodder clone I wrote in Blitz3D to b4A, all good so far, and will release it sometime this year.
Cool, let us know when your cannon fodder clone is ready to be played !!
Just out of curiosity andymc, which was your nickname by the Blitzbasic forum ? Something with "Adam" in it ? My one was "semar".
Best wishes,
Sergio

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
I used to call myself telesto, then changed it to andymcadam I was signed up to release my CF clone called "Grenade" with Kooldog software (guildhall leisure) back around 2002, but then they went bust. I really miss those days, working with Blitz3D was so much simpler than Android development, even with the awesome B4A.

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
I used to call myself telesto, then changed it to andymcadam I was signed up to release my CF clone called "Grenade" with Kooldog software (guildhall leisure) back around 2002, but then they went bust. I really miss those days, working with Blitz3D was so much simpler than Android development, even with the awesome B4A.
Tha's funny, in the same year I've worked too with KoolDog Software ( George Bray ) and released "Iridis Alpha". I even went to an event in a disco-pub in London, and the special guest were Jeff Minter ! Oh yeah, those were the days !!

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I went to a pub meetup in Doncaster, I lived in Sheffield at the time. It was fun, we had a private room upstairs and a couple of laptops for people to show off what they were working on. Would have loved to have met Jeff Minter, he's a legend in the indie game dev world. (I'm tempted to write a mutant camels remake for Android)

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Oh, I have a big place in my heart for his games. I've spent many hours playing Gridrunner and Revenge Of The Mutant Camels for instance. Good times! :)
Yes Sandman, indeed !
By the way it was really exciting by coding the remake of Jeff Minters "Iridis Alpha". When I later met him in London, after the release, he said that he found my version really good. Ah... that were the time !!
If only B4X could bring this joy back again.. I mean, don't forget me wrong, I find B4X really good and powerful. Anyway, with some cute 3D commands.. it would bring the Blitz3D feeling back again ! Oh my ! May be I'm too much nostalgic :rolleyes:

Last edited:

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
thought you'd like this picture, it's been sitting in my desk drawer for years:
20190109_142835.jpg

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
thought you'd like this picture, it's been sitting in my desk drawer for years:
View attachment 76145
What a "back to the roots" feeling !!! Actually, I have the same Cd too, and also the Blitz3D book..
Thank you andymc for bringing me back those memories.. !!!

My favorite commands:
B4X:
UpdateWorld
RenderWorld
Flip

Ahhh.... that were the days ... !!!! :rolleyes:

semar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Bringing back memories.. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 2019-01-12 20.44.15.jpg
    2019-01-12 20.44.15.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 308
  • 2019-01-12 20.45.17.jpg
    2019-01-12 20.45.17.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 253

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm actually using Blitzplus to run the map editor my Cannon fodder clone I'm working on.
I've also used it in the recent years to prototype game mechanics and testing code before converting to B4A code. It's still the fastest development language I've ever used and I love that you need no other software tools setup to use it.