B4J Question ABMaterial or BANano?

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
I'm sure it was asked before (and probably I partecipated myself in the thread touching on the question), but when prefer one over the other?
I read and understood the tech differences, what will be nice is to a have a short list of cases/projects where one solution should be clearly preferable over the other one.

So, having both a VPS and a shared hosting, proficiency with HTML/CSS (and JS), not needing any special B4J library, etc, for what kind of projects should one prefer ABM over BANano (and viceversa)?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For us, it is an AND. We use ABM for the more complex tasks that happens in an office: overviews, charts, reports, data manipulation, pivot tables, planning etc... because it can use the full power of B4J. BANano was written to make lightweight PWAs for quick data input. Both communicate with each other. e.g. the projects, clients, tasks etc are done in the main office, this data is then passed on via a REST API to the PWAs where the people of the workfloor can perform the task. When they have finished they send back the results, which are then processed and presented (screen, reports, ...) in ABM.

You have to ask yourself the big questions. What is 'needed' on the workfloor? Do they really need be able to make a PDF or is it much more convenient to do this on the server side? Do they really need to be able to see a yearly overview of what they have done? Most of the time, you have only very limited screen estate you can use on a e.g. phone and you can present data much better on a full office screen. Depending on the answers we acquire, we pick if it has to be done in ABM or in BANano.

Main Office (ABM):
1658302612597.png

1658302662285.png

1658302813946.png

PWA on the workfloor (BANano):

1658302922284.png
1658302954836.png
1658302971014.png

Alwaysbusy

Last edited:
Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you very much Alain.
So, you mainly use BANano for data collection and ABM for data presentation and other "complex" operations. REST API is the core of the full installation since it plays the role to move proper data around.

Can you confirm/amend the following (very simplified ) scheme, with the cautional note that the right choice depends always on the task at hand?
Website (mostly fixed pages; user intercation limited to login, pick up some files, select date/time for appointment, stuff like that): ABM
Wepapp (complex app that goes behind simple data entry): ABM
Webapp (mostly data entry and where PWA will add functionality): BANano

Thans again

Upvote 0