Wish Advanced Forum Search

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
What exactly are you trying to find and aren't able to?

I'm using the forum search many times each day and it works quite good.
I struggle sometimes to find a post of my own. How to search for example a post made by a specific user along with a keyword?

I also need to report a broken link, if I select the "postings" tab in my profile and at the bottom of the page select "find all content by RandomCoder", on the next pages I'm unable to "search again" (top right hand link). It directs to a missing page.

qle

Licensed User
Longtime User
I seem to find everything im not looking for!!!
would be nice to filter out the chaff!
or do specific "Quote" searches...
or NOT this or NOT that... (ie: -this -that)
etc....

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is always good to provide examples. There are many many parameters that affect the search results and with concrete examples I can improve the search engine.

Note that you can filter results using the filters list in the left side. You can also limit your searches to B4A, B4J or B4i by adding the product name to the search query.

rboeck

Licensed User
Longtime User
My wish for the forum search is a possibility for a time limit or an time sorting. Sometimes you know that there are younger examples, but you get the oldest first. My wish would be a possibility from young to old.
Another idea would be, to have checkboxes for: All, B4A, B4I, B4J; so one wuould only need one click to get his results.

qle

Licensed User
Longtime User
just a simple quote option for exact error strings would be great...

searching for qle sure does not find all my posts!! in fact it find 5 pages of... 4.9 of which are chaff

or even for a search "loading dynamically linked library" does not find 'my' original post... well maybe it does but it pulls up 7 pages of chaff first...
yes.. after 2 or 3 days of searching... i usually do find nothing of what i was looking for.

you say "You can search for the author name together with the keyword." that would be great... IF i knew the author with the correct solution.. i dont!

Edit: HEY!!!! why does the community map not show WA (Australia) users!!! (bit like the search function, eh!, my profile quite clearly states "Perth, Australia")

Last edited:

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Edit: HEY!!!! why does the community map not show WA (Australia) users!!! (bit like the search function, eh!, my profile quite clearly states "Perth, Australia")

I guess that until you insert your location yourself, you won't be shown...

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
you say "You can search for the author name together with the keyword." that would be great
This was an answer to post #3.

or even for a search "loading dynamically linked library" does not find 'my' original post... well maybe it does but it pulls up 7 pages of chaff first...
yes.. after 2 or 3 days of searching... i usually do find nothing of what i was looking for.

Not true. It returns very good results. Specifically the thread you started is the third result. The search engine decided that a specific post made by warwound from this thread is the best match so it showed it.
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/pages/results/?query=loading+dynamically+linked+library

qle

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Erel.... thanks..

It would be nice is i could search the forum for a quoted error string..
like "does not match path (bin/BADoclet$Property.class)"
to only pull up posts that actually contain that string..

Last edited:

Derek Johnson

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Erel.... thanks..

It would be nice is i could search the forum for a quoted error string..
like "does not match path (bin/BADoclet$Property.class)"
to only pull up posts that actually contain that string..

You mean like this

Java Question - does not match path (bin/BADoclet$Property.class ...
www.b4x.com › ... › Questions › Libraries developers questions
17 Aug 2015 - Java Question does not match path (bin/BADoclet$Property.class). Discussion in ... B4A Question Unexpected Top Level Exception [Solved]
Wish - Advanced Forum Search
14 Aug 2015
Android Question - Error in FirstLib example
22 Dec 2014
Libraries developers questions
25 Nov 2014
Android Question - Unexpected Top Level Exception [Solved]
17 Sep 2014
More results from www.b4x.com

It's called Google. Just prefix your search with B4a.

I never use the internal search, mainly because it seems to OR the terms together rather than 'AND' them, and also because I can never find the search box when I want it.

This isn't a request for extra work on the internal search, it simply isn't needed.

Derek Johnson

Licensed User
Longtime User

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
The inbuilt forum search mechanism doesn't seem to be able to handle phrases - in google I can put quotes around a phrase and it will prioritize that in the hits.

Am I missing some trick?